Pine Beetle

Started by P.C., Jan 24 09 07:44

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Does anyone know if the weather has been cold enough, long enough, to have made an impact on the Pine Beetles ?  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

P.C.

All this cold has got to be good for something.

Michel

JJ

It needs to be like -30 for 3 weeks to do much good.  

I read that they have pinebeetle in the National Forest in Montana.  So if the pinebeetle has gone South there is no way of killing it off because they will never get the -30 of 3 weeks so it will just come back up North again.

Michel

P.C.

I find it so surprising that they can't come up with something that can stop these things.  I'm not very comfortable with pesticides, but the extincction of a whole species of trees isn't that appealing either.

Michel

P.C.

JJ wrote: So if the pinebeetle has gone South there is no way of killing it off because they will never get the -30 of 3 weeks so it will just come back up North again.

That makes sense......what a frightening concept.  

Michel

P.C.

We could send in troops of bug eating flying pigs.

Michel

Sportsdude

JJ wrote:
It needs to be like -30 for 3 weeks to do much good.  

I read that they have pinebeetle in the National Forest in Montana.  So if the pinebeetle has gone South there is no way of killing it off because they will never get the -30 of 3 weeks so it will just come back up North again.

I saw it this summer just east of Missoula, the beetle was stopped by the interstate at the time. One side was dead the other was green.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Michel

Sportsdude

Yeah I only viewed it as a temporary hurdle.

I have some photos of it but the dead side is kinda hard to grasp in the photo except the non dead side which is completely green and full. The dead side was sparsely populated with dead and 3 or for patches of green.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."