Paint Confusion

Started by P.C., Nov 05 08 10:51

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

I go through this every time I face this situation.  This should be the last time, as there is only one room left in my house with enamel paint.

The confusion is.....I know I can't paint latex over enamel without a primer/sealer.  But now I don't know if I can use latex primer over the oil.

I have a can of Prestige Primer Sealer, Latex Acrylic Paint.  On the can it says....Adheres to Latex AND OIL BASED PAINTS.

So to make double sure, I went to the Prestige paint website, where in their 'Expert Advice' section, they say (after some intstructions on how to determine whether the existing paint is oil or latex)......"........if the paint doesn't come off, it's oil-based, and a pre-coat of oil-based primer is a must"

What to do, what to do.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

P.C.

My guess is, you have been fortunate enough to have probably been painting over an existing latex.  If you were painting over enamel, one washing would put an end to your good luck.[/DIV]

Michel

P.C.

I don't know.....hence the confusion.  But I'm more than a little leary of taking the chance.  Removing paint is 1000 times more difficult than putting it on.   (unless of course you DON'T want it to come off)  

Michel

P.C.

I guess the next question would be.....did you ever wash the walls after you painted ?  

Michel

P.C.

lol.  I guess that answers THAT question.  So....it really wasn't luck at all....just a well mastered plan.  The walls get dirty ?......move.

Michel

Russ

You are supposed to wash walls? Really? I give em a quick wipe once in a while if they look dirty or have splotches on em. If they look ok and dont stink.. why fix something thats working?  
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

49er

I have painted directly over enamel or glossy latex (don't remember which) directly with latex finish after good cleaning with tsp solution.

P.C.

Well, I did a test patch yesterday.....and just washed it a few minutes ago.  It all rolled off like dead skin.  [img onclick="selecte('stern.gif');" alt=emoticon src="http://www.pushupstairs.com/images/emoticon/blehnet/stern.gif" border=0]   So....I guess that answers my own question.

Prestige paints should double check their claim of it adhering to alkyd.

Lise

I have your solution here, PC.

[FONT size=6]HIRE A PAINTER. [/FONT]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

Don't see it happening.

I never pay someone to do something I can do myself.  Ever.

[FONT size=1]Yet[/FONT].