Paul Newman dies at 83

Started by P.C., Sep 27 08 07:38

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

[A href="http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hEOiFzC0uwlunNsBMhhe8Lk2zoswD93F42900"]http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hEOiFzC0uwlunNsBMhhe8Lk2zoswD93F42900[/A]

(pic from 1960)     He was married to Joanne Woodward for 50 years.  He has given over 200 million to charities.

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

Goodbye. *sniffs*
 We love the salad dressing.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Michel

Lil Me

salad dressing, spag sauce, juice, popcorn...  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lise

That is sad...... RIP Mr. Newman.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Michel

Gopher

Yes, RIP; it's like coming to the end of an era.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Marik

If you all haven't seen Slapshot, go watch it now!!! It is the best (and funniest) sports movie I've ever seen. RIP Paul Newman.    

Sportsdude

I have that movie, it is awesome.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Gophie wrote:  Yes, RIP; it's like coming to the end of an era.

That's it Gophie.  Paul's passing is sad in itself.....but you're right.....it really is the mark of the passing of an era.  Sad all round. [/DIV]

stretchedout

P.C. wrote:
  Gophie wrote:  Yes, RIP; it's like coming to the end of an era.

That's it Gophie.  Paul's passing is sad in itself.....but you're right.....it really is the mark of the passing of an era.  Sad all round.

-------------------------------------

What era?  There are no defined generations, really.  Rather, tons of people are born everyday.  There are plenty of other good actors still alive, in their 70s and 80s!  

Road to Perdition was filmed eight years ago.  It's been a while since Paul was in anything decent.

C'mon, the city is sleeping!

Van

He was Doc in Cars. Although just a voice in the film.        
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

P.C.

What era?  There are no defined generations, really.  Rather, tons of people are born everyday.  There are plenty of other good actors still alive, in their 70s and 80s!  

There's a difference between an era and a generation.  An era is defined by a segment of history made notable by a promintent figure or event.  A generation is defined by the span of time between the birth and death of parents and their families.  Not the same thing at all.  

Of course there's tons of people born everyday....but not all of them will make an impression or leave their mark on the world to the same degree as others....especially one that spans more than one generation.

[SPAN class=sense_break][SPAN class=sense_break][SPAN class=sense_content][SPAN class=vi][/SPAN][/SPAN][/SPAN][/SPAN]

stretchedout

Okay, but I still don't buy this "end of era" claim.  Robert Redford, Robert Wagner, Clint Eastwood, Tony Curtis, Shirley Maclean, Liz Taylor, Ernest Borgnine, Dick Van Dyke, Dick Van Patten, Gavin McLeod... to name just a few, are still alive and kicking!  A whole bunch of elderly actors are with us too.
C'mon, the city is sleeping!

P.C.

Okay, but I still don't buy this "end of era" claim.  Robert Redford, Robert Wagner, Clint Eastwood, Tony Curtis, Shirley Maclean, Liz Taylor, Ernest Borgnine, Dick Van Dyke, Dick Van Patten, Gavin McLeod... to name just a few, are still alive and kicking!  A whole bunch of elderly actors are with us too.

Fair enough.  Let me rephrase, and say it's the end of an era for Paul Newman fans.[/DIV]