It's a Baaaaad Year for Berries :(

Started by Lil Me, Jun 20 08 04:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Lil Me

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - This could be the worst year for berry crops in BC in the past decade, as the sunshine you see this afternoon is coming too late to make a real difference.

Some fields in the Lower Mainland have lost up to 70 percent of their potential crop. "Some sunshine now is going to make what fruit is left a little bit nicer, a little bit sweeter, but in terms of volume and even of the individual fruit, it's been severely impacted by the weather we've had over the last few months."    BC is the second largest blueberry growing region in the world, producing more than 60 million pounds in 2004.[/p]   Strawberries also will not be saved by this late burst of sunshine, although raspberries and cranberries might fare a little better.[/p]
 Full Story:
 [a href="http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article.jsp?content=20080620_173359_17096"]http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article.jsp?content=20080620_173359_17096[/a]

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

Berries are big in the Pemberton area right?  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

49er

Its a bumper year for cherries.  Bing cherries being sold at $0.79/lb here and I been buying 18 lb boxes for $8.00/box  

Lil Me

Local cherries aren't until later in July for us.

49er- have you guys seen any Rainier cherries yet?  Those are my fave.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

49er

Lil Me wrote:
Local cherries aren't until later in July for us.

49er- have you guys seen any Rainier cherries yet?  Those are my fave.

Yes Rainer are available but way more expensive.  They are my fave too

Lise

Bummer about the blueberries. My girls were asking for them and I couldn't find them in stores. At least ones that weren't so expensive. This explains it.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lise

Agreed. They might be bold enough or hungry enough to start attacking the average hiker. Yikes!!
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

Lise

Well, we are entering into THEIR territory so it's not really the bear's fault that they attack. That's why we carry bear spray with us whenever we go in. I don't think we could ever use the bear spray had a bear charged up at us (we'd be dead before we even blink) but I never go hiking without it.

What do you think about carrying a bell while hiking? I get mixed messages about that.
Bill Cosby.

Michel

Sportsdude

Black Bear: Hey human, I'm going to go now...
Grizzly: HUMAN, FOOD, I'm the Cookie Monster nom nom nom nom

Yeah, Grizzlies are cool from the cage at the zoo. lol

Lil Me

Buy the bell, make yourself big, don't turn your back on Mr Bear, and make lotsa noise.

Forget the spray :)

purelife

I've been buying my berries from Costco. (love em and crave em)  The blueberries are quite expensive (but still buy them anyways) while cherries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries are dirt cheap.

LM - I think I saw those ranier cherries at Costco but not sure if they have them there anymore.  :(