5 (45.5%)
No
6 (54.5%)
Undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Sportsdude

P.C. wrote:
[em]SD wrote:  Easy. Tear down the ghost towns which the suburbs will become and rebuild the cities to be sustainable. You know, bring back all the trolley's and tram lines that were prevalent before the wars started.[/em]

Sorry SD.....I disagree that this is where the root of the problem is.  Trolley's and trams aren't the solution.  I think we're where we are because consumerism has run amuck.  The need to have everything....more of everything, the best of everything, the newest of everything and we are willing to sacrifice everything to get it.  I know it sounds disconnected from the problems, but I don't think it is.

----

I was going to say something about that but I wanted to stay on the suburbs route. The 'American Dream' idea is very consumerist, it's 'have it all'. Canada suffers from the same disease.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

Van wrote:
Nice Russ!

I also hear a lot of "Well, if you were in parts of Europe, your tax and costs would be way higher". Don't get me started on that!

Lets just get the Libs to tax 100% of our income and we can live in shanty towns in mud huts with 15 people in them.

European gas taxes go to something, where do you think they got the money to build all of the train routes and metros. Small towns the size of Nanaimo have Light Rail Systems.

Van

True, but this isn't Europe! In Europe you can actually visit many cities within a few hours. Maybe they have better leaders there too? Canada is NOT Europe.

The gov can take their taxes and shove it.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Russ

Van wrote:
 Nice Russ!

I also hear a lot of "Well, if you were in parts of Europe, your tax and costs would be way higher". Don't get me started on that!

Lets just get the Libs to tax 100% of our income and we can live in shanty towns in mud huts with 15 people in them.[/DIV]
 Ha! :) :)

If you are in CERTAIN parts of europe your taxes and costs could be higher? My standard of living is better than many of my contemporaries living in scotland, uk, ireland.. because of buying power and taxes. Well, thats also kinda untrue on the tax thing. Canada's the only country in the so called industrial rich nations that penalizes people that work out of the country for most of the year with full taxes and no tax breaks.

Lets not worry about the Liberals taxing us 100% of our income, this carbon tax while a GOOD idea, is not going be needed right now with the high cost of gas. That alone will kill the provincial Liberals this next election, and hopefully we will get a conservative in. But just let the NDP communists back in and all of us WILL be living in 15 person mud huts except for public sector and other union workers.

Just to clarify.. with my last statement I didnt mean we shouldnt all upgrade to teh newer stuff, I just meant dont all go out and buy it now if your older stuff it still working and in good condition.

This is where I do believe its all consumerism gone wild. Prime example.. on top of the cheap crap we are buying, look at all the waste that the products come packaged in. I really think we should implement plastic bag and packaging recycling in vancouver, like what they are doing in parts of the UK. Either that or ban plastic packaging and go back to cardboard and filler.      
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Van

Russ wrote:
Van wrote:
Nice Russ!

Lets just get the Libs to tax 100% of our income and we can live in shanty towns in mud huts with 15 people in them.[/DIV]
 Ha! :) :)

If you are in CERTAIN parts of europe your taxes and costs could be higher? My standard of living is better than many of my contemporaries living in scotland, uk, ireland.. because of buying power and taxes. Well, thats also kinda untrue on the tax thing. Canada's the only country in the so called industrial rich nations that penalizes people that work out of the country for most of the year with full taxes and no tax breaks.

Lets not worry about the Liberals taxing us 100% of our income, this carbon tax while a GOOD idea, is not going be needed right now with the high cost of gas. That alone will kill the provincial Liberals this next election, and hopefully we will get a conservative in. But just let the NDP communists back in and all of us WILL be living in 15 person mud huts except for public sector and other union workers.

Just to clarify.. with my last statement I didnt mean we shouldnt all upgrade to teh newer stuff, I just meant dont all go out and buy it now if your older stuff it still working and in good condition.

This is where I do believe its all consumerism gone wild. Prime example.. on top of the cheap crap we are buying, look at all the waste that the products come packaged in. I really think we should implement plastic bag and packaging recycling in vancouver, like what they are doing in parts of the UK. Either that or ban plastic packaging and go back to cardboard and filler.

Good points Russ. I can make enough money under the table no Lib or Cons will ever touch! HA!

As for new technologies, I am all for it. I am just saying, is taxing us more and more going to help?

After visiting Dublin and England, it was amazing to see how the working class live.  

When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Van

Russ wrote:
  But just let the NDP communists back in and all of us WILL be living in 15 person mud huts except for public sector and other union workers.

If the NDP get back in, I am Outta!!

Sportsdude

BC Liberals aren't going anywhere, the North could split and bring back the Reform party, but that won't happen for multiple of reasons and would just alienate the North. And those 'communists' you talk about are against the Carbon Tax saying its a tax grab and punishing lower income people. The Liberals aren't going to lose until the economy tanks after the olympics. The voters that matter in BC love the Carbon Tax so you're going to have to deal with it.

Van

I was talking more about Dion and gang. BC Libs are another story.  I don't even hate the Fed Libs. They just need a real leader and not some pathetic piece of ****!

Curious though, how is one voter more important than another?

As for BC's economy tanking? Where does that come from? People said that after Expo 86 the economy would tank. Maybe a slow down, but a tank?

BC has too much 'awesome-ness' for that to happen! Ha!

Sportsdude

Economic after Economic Forum its all about 'After 2010'. After the olympics BC will have peaked economically, everything in this province is geared toward '2010' for those two weeks.

Who's vote matters the most? The votes that make things move in this province
1) You must live in Vancouver
2) You must make over an x amount of money
3) You probably live downtown or in West Van
4) Or you have your had in Vancouver real estate developers

Politicians ignore anyone outside of this group. They've turned Vancouver Island into a prison where people can't move freely off the island without paying a tonne of money, Vancouver Island might as well be its own province now. They've ignored the North as 'nobody of importance' lives up there. While the head of the government resides in Victoria, there's no urgent need to fix Victoria or Kelowna or Kamloops problems. No matter who you elect they will all be Vancouver centric governments of the West Vancouver variety. Both political parties battle over the same core voters while ignoring the rest of the province and the issues.

Van

Sportsdude wrote:
Economic after Economic Forum its all about 'After 2010'. After the olympics BC will have peaked economically, everything in this province is geared toward '2010' for those two weeks.

Biggest load of bunk I ever heard of.

Who's vote matters the most? The votes that make things move in this province
1) You must live in Vancouver
2) You must make over an x amount of money
3) You probably live downtown or in West Van
4) Or you have your had in Vancouver real estate developers

Politicians ignore anyone outside of this group. They've turned Vancouver Island into a prison where people can't move freely off the island without paying a tonne of money, Vancouver Island might as well be its own province now. They've ignored the North as 'nobody of importance' lives up there. While the head of the government resides in Victoria, there's no urgent need to fix Victoria or Kelowna or Kamloops problems. No matter who you elect they will all be Vancouver centric governments of the West Vancouver variety. Both political parties battle over the same core voters while ignoring the rest of the province and the issues.

I see what you mean. I thought you were saying the voters who you personally felt were important.  Depends who you talk to on the Island. You are the first person I ever heard call it a prison? Most people I know there are happy to be there and somewhat isolated

That is the way BC has been since day 1.  

Take a look at the Kootenays. Their hospitals, roads, and infrastructure is in no better or worse shape than Vancouvers.

Lil Me

Could you imagine the uproar if there was Carbonated Tax?  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

Its a prison in the sense that the last ferry is 9pm. A hockey game or a concert doesn't end at 9pm, you have to then spend more money to stay at a hotel for a night. Isolation is not good. The two will drift apart to the point where Vancouver Islanders will see themselves as different from British Columbia. Then you'll get a province within a province.

Van

Sportsdude wrote:
Its a prison in the sense that the last ferry is 9pm. A hockey game or a concert doesn't end at 9pm, you have to then spend more money to stay at a hotel for a night. Isolation is not good. The two will drift apart to the point where Vancouver Islanders will see themselves as different from British Columbia. Then you'll get a province within a province.

According to your anyways.

Maybe you should stick to worrying about your own neck of the woods instead of making up nonsense about BC regional boundaries.

Sportsdude

Insults lead us nowhere, they just hold us back.
Regional nonsense, okay, all my friends on the Island share this view. People I meet on the street share this view, I've read it in the newspapers in the media and I've seen it everywhere.

Van

Insults? You are a timid little guy hey? easily offended. Are you Emo?

ok, to me, the people that live on the Island, CHOOSE TO DO SO! It is not a prison. They have the freedom to move elsewhere. If someone wants to catch a concert in Vancouver, they better stay at a friend's house, or get a hotel and make a night out of it.

|