The BBQ Thread

Started by Lil Me, May 24 08 05:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Lil Me

Any stories, tips, secrets to share?

How do you like your steak cooked?

What's your fave thing to grill?
 --

I like my steak still moo-ing (but give me seared fat and grill marks).
 Start grilling with a room temp steak.
 Marinade in soy, red wine, garlic, worcestershire (or skip the marinade and use heavy Montreal Steak Spice)

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

We're still newbies on the bbq cuz I don't know how to cook things like corn.  MrPL only knows grilled veggies and smokies and buns.

Lil Me

Corn is easy.
 Pull back the green husk (but don't pull it off completely).
 Pull off the silk and discard.
 Put the green husk back on.
 Grill until done.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

No marinating?  But what if you have the naked corn?  I got some from Costco.  They were the sweet corn that has been peeled and cleaned.  

Lil Me

uh, I cook naked corn in the microwave.  

P.C.

Here's a nifty BBQ tip.

Lil Me....Oh Maker of Teh Homemade Pizza......I have a special BBQ Pizza Pan.  You can actually cook your pizza on the BB.  It is awesomely yummy as it gets that subtle infusion of smoky flavour.  An excellent pizza for the grill, is chicken, mushrooms and roasted garlic.  DE-lish.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

ohhh lovely.  I actually did cook a pizza on the BBQ (on tinfoil) when we tore out the kitchen in the old house.

I'd like to get a BBQ pizza pan.  But a Coleman coffee maker is ahead on the list :)

Lise

I love BBQ ribs. I usually get the beef ribs but you can use pork. Slow cook's the way to go. Here's what I do:

Chop 1 onion and 1 stalk celery, place bottom of slow cooker

Place ribs on top

Add enough water to cover the ribs

Slow cook 6 hours (low) or 4 hours (high)

When meat is tender, remove and set aside

Make sauce: in a pan, add in 1/2 cup BBQ sauce and 1/2 cup tomato sauce, splash of cider vinegar, brown sugar and lemon zest. Heat sauce and stir.

Add about 1/2 mixed sauce to ribs, coat well then put on the grill or under broiler. Just before serving, coat them again with the rest of the sauce. Guarantee to vanish before your eyes.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

van_guy

Lil Me wrote:

You may find this hard to believe but i took a bbq on a plane with me to Vietnam once - it was huge i think it weighed 60kg (130lbs?) i had to get a van taxi to get to the airport - the extra charges were like $800 and then i had to bribe the customs guy in hanoi or he would have charged me an aditional $800 import tax.  The funny part is the bbq was made in china!!!

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

P.C.

So, any stories, tips, secrets to share on how to smuggle a BBQ into Vietnam?  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c008.gif" border=0]

It sounds like it would have been cheaper to have someone custom build one there.

Sportsdude

van_guy wrote:
 Lil Me wrote:

You may find this hard to believe but i took a bbq on a plane with me to Vietnam once - it was huge i think it weighed 60kg (130lbs?) i had to get a van taxi to get to the airport - the extra charges were like $800 and then i had to bribe the customs guy in hanoi or he would have charged me an aditional $800 import tax.  The funny part is the bbq was made in china!!!

So you were able to get that thing through? Amazing. lol

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

van_guy

So you were able to get that thing through? Amazing. lol

Money - lots of money - cold hard cash is an amazing thing

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

P.C.

Now I would have brought this.....

and this....[img style="WIDTH: 143px; HEIGHT: 138px" height=172 src="http://www.oilstoves.co.uk/thumbs/88-01-219.jpg" width=168]  

Van

Mmmm! Good thread here!

and I thought the lunch thread was bad for making me hungry.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Van

Does anyone use charcoals still? I have my BBQ hooked up to my natural gas and it works great. But I remember the days my folks used to BBQ over charcoal. I think food was much better tasting? Maybe it was all in my head?
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!