PEI lifts ban on pop and beer cans

Started by Sportsdude, May 03 08 05:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

bummer.
[a href="http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/canada_food_environment_offbeat"]http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/canada_food_environment_offbeat[/a]

Cans suck.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

That IS a bummer.  I wonder why they would have chosen NOW to lift this.  Seems to me they were ahead of their time with the original ban.  Now it seems like a step backwards, in a time when everyone else is making the move to make more ecological choices. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/konfus/n020.gif" border=0]

"Authorities on the island, the smallest in Canada and located on the eastern coast, banned beer in cans 35 years ago, following 11 years later with a similar law for fizzy drinks. Plastic was also prohibited, with glass bottles the only container allowed."
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Well the Liberals ran on repealling the ban there and they got elected.  

P.C.

I just watched this on the news after my first post.  It seems they have decided they are losing money to people who are going to neighbouring areas to purchase their beverages in plastic or cans.  So my next question is....how come it took them 35 years to figure out they were losing money?  

Backwards.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

*imagines Islanders going to NB for a 24 pack of Pepsi*

lol

Its just silly around. I read that after the bridge was built the Walmarts moved in and people still ended up taking the ferries. jeebus make up yer mind!

fletcher

PEI's motto used to be 'We're so far behind, we're ahead." Sad to hear they are allowing cans and plastic bottles.  It is a great place for campers and tourists so I would imagine there is 35 years worth of broken bottles around.  I didn't realize there were still ferry runs. Must be from Nova Scotia only.

Van

Ever drink a beer out of a bottle, then try one out of a can? omg! Bottles are the way to go.

...I could use a beer right now...
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

I've got 5 Beck's in the fridge. *throws Van a beer*  

Van

When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

Beautiful days out 4 days in a row of no clouds. Sun.  

Russ

My captain is from PEI, hes been talking about this for months now! Must have nothing else going on there to talk about. He said it was the best thing ever and is again cans.. they recycle all the bottles lots. And of course in a bar you get a draught beer.

Although this seems to be a imposing thing, I think its better for the pollution of the aluminum cans. they bowed to special interest groups like the manufacturing companies cause cans are cheaper...
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lil Me

Hey Russ!  Interesting.
 I always opt for the cans when out and about...
 cans are easier than the clanking bottles..

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Russ

Lil Me wrote:
Hey Russ!  Interesting.
I always opt for the cans when out and about...
cans are easier than the clanking bottles..

Hey miss Lil Me! Hope alls well with ya.. any good meetings with the strata lately?

Im currently sitting here in the hotel we are in right now while the vessel is up in drydock and theres no ac.. and the ship is unbearable! Hey, its normal to lose 7 kilos in 7 days right? lol.

You are correct on that one.. I like cans whenever I camp or travel for that very reason, however anywhere you go it seems that people cannot be responsible in general. Go to any unregulated campsite and you will see some fool that has tried to burn cans. Sure you see broken bottles, but not as many as aluminum cans. Maybe its just me, but thats what I think.

uh, yargh
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Van

Even camping, I bring bottles. I bought a taller cooler and made sure beer fit in it good.

Nothing better than pulling a bottle of ice cold beer out of a cooler full of ice...bottle gleaming in the sunlight, blue sky in the background...sound of waves rippling onto the shore...opening the cap...taking that first taste as it hits your lips and touches your tongue..hot girl beside you with also grabbing a beer...take a look out to the water...it is a new boat with your name on it, loaded with millions of dollars...ok, so I drifted off there.

bottles all the way for me!

Lil Me

Stop posting beer pr0n.  You're making us all....thirsty.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Is Washington state larger or smaller than a basketball?:
Complete the sentence: "Between a rock and a...":
Seattle is in a state named what?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview