Need Help - plumber

Started by Lise, Mar 25 08 10:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Anyone know a good plumber? Hubby yelled to say the garburator isn't working. CRAP!!!
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

Is it clogged?  Insert an allen key in the bottom (from underneath the sink) and manually crank it around to clear whatever is stuck in there.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

49er

or push the reset button at the bottom

Lise

Alley key? What the heck is that?

49er - I hit the reset button but nothing's moving. I hear a buzzing sound but that's about it.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

An Alley key unlocks the gate to the back lane....an Allen key is what you assemble IKEA furniture with.

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

The "buzzing sound" occurs when the motor is engaged but the garb can't turn.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

I've never had a garburator.....so I'm no help.  But I DO have a set of Allen keys.

49er

[A href="http://homerepair.about.com/od/plumbingrepair/ss/fix_disposal_2.htm"]http://homerepair.about.com/od/plumbingrepair/ss/fix_disposal_2.htm[/A]

PROBLEM:
Stuck Flywheel / Disposal Will Not Run (makes a humming noise)
If the garbage disposal won't turn on but makes a humming sound when you flip the switch, it won't do that for long. That means you have a stuck flywheel and the reset button on the unit itself or the fuse or circuit breaker in your electrical service panel will trip and turn off very quickly. The flywheel is stuck because something is lodged between it or the impeller(s) and the shredder ring.

[UL] [LI]To start the repair, turn off power to the garbage disposal at the electrical service panel.  [LI]Reminder: Don't ever put your hand down into the garbage disposal hopper (grinding chamber).  [LI]Take the offset wrench that came with the disposal unit and insert the wrench into the flywheel turning hole in the bottom of the unit. If you don't have the wrench you can pick one up from the hardware store that sells your garbage disposal.  [LI]Once the wrench is inserted, turn it clockwise to dislodge the stuck impeller or flywheel. When it dislodges, you'll feel the flywheel turn freely.  [LI]Another approach is to try and use a wooden broom-handle or similar wooden object to free the stuck impeller and flywheel from the top of the unit through the drain.  [LI]Place the broom-handle into the hopper and against an impeller. Use leverage to try and free the stuck flywheel. As before, when it dislodges you'll feel the flywheel turn freely.[/LI][/UL]

Lise

Hi hi!!!

Got the garburator to work!! Didn't use any allen or alley key but I found the wrench tucked under the sink and followed 49er's instructions.

[FONT color=#c00000 size=6]THANK YOU 49er[/FONT] for those precious instructions. You just saved me like $100 from having a plumber come in! Blesses and kisses!!!    
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

and you saved yourself a view of the plumber's butt.  

purelife

and his muscles and chest....

Michel

[font style="font-style: italic;" size="6" color="#c00000"][/font]

Michel

P.C.

Lise !!!  Are you saying THIS isn't worth a hundred bucks ?  

[img height=367 src="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1366/1407951163_4e929fc592_o.jpg" width=356]

Michel