No
2 (22.2%)
Sometimes
1 (11.1%)
Never tried one
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Lil Me

[a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooncake"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mooncake[/a]

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lise

Love mooncakes but they're so damn expensive! Like $7 for one at the Crystal Mall. I'm not buying till after because they go on sale 1/2 price afterwards.

Anyways, if you're looking around for something to do, check this one out:

Mid-Autumn Moon Festival at Dr. Sun Yat-Sen
Mid-Autumn Moon Festival at Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Sept 25, 2007. www.vancouverchinesegarden.com
September 25, 2007 Mid-Autumn Moon Festival at Dr. Sun Yat-Sen. This is the most romantic outdoor Chinese cultural celebration and includes a colourful lantern festival, myth telling, music, and complimentary tea and mooncakes.    [A href="http://classifieds3.virtualvancouver.com/8/1/1/5003.html"][FONT size=1]Source[/FONT][/A]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

Oh, I love mooncakes...I love the yellow yolk and the bean paste.  The other weekend, I got a bit of a sample from mom's.  That's the only time when I get mooncake.  I hope that she gives me more. :)))  It's too expensive for me to fulfil my cravings...  :((

Lil Me

Check this out!!!

(Personally, I don't care for mooncakes).

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

[FONT size=7]HUMONGOUS!!!!1!!!!1[/FONT]

Lise

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

apparently they're at superstore.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Michel

P.C.

I was just reading some recipes for mooncakes.....and for the life of me, I can't understand what would make them expensive.  There is nothing exotic or pricey in them.....and the recipe is fairly basic.  The little molds are reasonably priced, and would last forever.  Go figure.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

49er

I like the mooncake with the nuts & seeds..........don't care too much for the yolk

P.C.

I'm going to try and make some.  I didn't realize it, but apparently I have a mold for mooncakes.  I've had it for YEARS and I've used it every year for making shortbread. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c028.gif" border=0]

So what the heck is lotus seed paste ?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

my friends going to buy me some moon cakes.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

Sportsdude wrote:
my friends going to buy me some moon cakes.

That's verrrry nice of them because they are very expensive.  One little square of a moon cake is worth the price of lunch!  (btwn $5 and $10)

Lise

They're expensive because it takes time to make them. The ingredients are not expensive but it takes years and years and years or practise to make the perfect mooncakes.

Lotus seed paste come from lotus plants. Yep, the same exact water plant you would find at the pond. After the flower is gone and the pod surfaces, you would harvest the seeds. Then mashed them up and put them into cans.

Mooncakes doesn't always have to be lotus seeds, you can actually make them from red bean paste. I've even seen green bean ones too.

Another reason for the pricing has to do with the festival as well. Like Halloween, these stuff are expensive just before the event and goes 1/2 price afterwards. I'm waiting for that to happen so I can get them!

Waaah! I can't believe that I'm the only one who likes those salty duck eggs......  
Bill Cosby.

purelife

You mean the egg in the middle of these mooncakes Lise?