Olympic National Park

Started by Michel, Aug 29 07 04:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Michel

Anybody has been to Olympic National Park at this time of the year ? Is it interesting ? Lots of wildlife ? Sighseeing ?

Yeh an "American" subject on DS lol

P.C.

We went down 2 years ago almost exactly this time Michel.  It is absolutely beautiful.  We didn't see much wildlife mind you.....but the scenery and landscape is breathtaking.  The weather was also considerably better in 05.....I believe we left here on September 9th.....and had perfect weather for the whole trip.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

[SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"]Ok that confirm what I've read about wildlife occurence. Any idea if it will be packed on the labor day week end ?[/SPAN]

[SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"][/SPAN]

[SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"]What would you recommend to see or do there ? How long does it takes by car (from Van) to reach the park ? Any info would be appreciated. [/SPAN]

[SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"][/SPAN]

[SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"]I'm thinking also to go to Van island, but I'm scared of the crowd at the ferry on that particular weekend.[/SPAN]

P.C.

[SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; 12pt: ; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"]Ok that confirm what I've read about wildlife occurence. Any idea if it will be packed on the labor day week end ?[/SPAN]

[SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; 12pt: ; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"][/SPAN]

[SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; 12pt: ; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"]What would you recommend to see or do there ? How long does it takes by car (from Van) to reach the park ? Any info would be appreciated. [/SPAN]

[SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; 12pt: ; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"][/SPAN]

[SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; 12pt: ; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"]I'm thinking also to go to Van island, but I'm scared of the crowd at the ferry on that particular weekend.[/SPAN]

[SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; 12pt: ; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"]We started out our trip on the Victoria to Port Angeles ferry.  Actually in reality, I'm thinking our trip may have skirted around the edges of the park rather than THROUGH it.  We started in Port Angeles, and stayed in Yachats the first night.  (to give you a bit of a time frame)[/SPAN]

[SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; 12pt: ; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"]I wouldn't recommend the ferries on a long weekend if time is an issue.  (you CAN make reservations though, to assure boarding)[/SPAN]

[SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; 12pt: ; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"][A href="http://www.gonorthwest.com/Washington/olympic/Olympic_NP/Olympic_National_Park_map.htm"]http://www.gonorthwest.com/Washington/olympic/Olympic_NP/Olympic_National_Park_map.htm[/A][/SPAN]

[SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; 12pt: ; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"][img height=491 alt="Olympic National Park Map" src="http://www.gonorthwest.com/Washington/olympic/Olympic_NP/images/olympicnationalparkmap.gif" width=450 useMap=#FPMap0 border=1 longDesc="Map of the Olympic Nationa Park showing visitors centers and nearby cities and towns."][/SPAN]

[SPAN lang=EN-US style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; 12pt: ; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"][img height=731 alt="Washington and Oregon Coast Map" src="http://www.nwcoast.com/maps/images/oregon_washington_coast_map_detailed.gif" width=399 useMap=#NWMap1 border=1][/SPAN]

Michel

reservation, no way, not fot this time, I'm at the last minute.

thanks for the link. I'll check that among others things.

P.C.

I'm not very good with details, Michel......but I assure you it was worth every second.   I would definitely do that trip again.  We went all the way down the Oregon Coast.  One of the nicest drives EVER.

Michel

Hope I'll get sunshine. Looks far however if I have to pass through Seattle. I'm still psychologicaly tired of driving from Alaska.

Bah anyway, if it's not this time, it will be the next.

Maybe Banff again ?

P.C.

I think it's definitely do-able on a long weekend.

Michel

I pass by Chapters on my way home and took a peek in a road atlas, there's a short ferry that can be taken, hence avoiding the long detour by Seattle.  

P.C.

What ferry is that Michel ?

Miichel

There's one from Edmonds (northern suburb of the Great Seattle) to Kingston. There's also another one from Keystone to Port Townsend, 2 little localities just on the Straight of Juan de Fuca.