Eat Your Peas

Started by P.C., Jul 20 07 08:33

Previous topic - Next topic

JJ

I secret to eating brussel sprouts is gravy!

49er

Lise wrote:
I'm still..... palate-allergic (ok, I hate the taste) of some type of tofu. There's this dish, it's called (literally!) 'stinky tofu' and OMG, did it deserve its name. Yucko. My dad gave me some when I was little. He said it tastes really good and nevermind the smell. And I totally believed him. UGH.

Stinky tofu is the best!  Unfortunately only place that sell it here in the Bay Area, that I know of, is in SF Chinatown.  Always get two take out orders when I am in the City and eat them up in my car on my way home........never bring it home because it will stink up the house.

P.C.

What's in it that makes it stinky ?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

49er

I think its the fermentation or the addition of some sort of bacteria into the tofu.  Good stinky tofu really stinks.......I could smell it two storefronts away from the restaurant that I buy it from

P.C.

Can you describe it ?  What smell would you relate it to ?

P.C.

When I think about it, that's really strange...because our sense of taste is so directly connected to our sense of smell.

Lil Me

I don't think I've had stinky tofu, unless you count this stuff- fermented bean curd in a jar.  We cook it on green beans.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

49er

no, this is not.  I cannot describe the smell.  This stink is not associated with rotten food, meat, etc.  It a nice clean stink....if there is such a thing.  The stinky cubes are fried

P.C.

Yes...there is such a thing as a clean stink IMO.  Like the wonderful fragrance of rich soil.

Sour ?  I can't handle anything that smells sour.  Half of what makes something enjoyable to eat, is in it's aroma...I can't imagine being drawn to eat something that stinks. (let alone liking it)

49er

I read a while back that stinky tofu is sold at the Vancouver Night Market but I suspect that there are various degrees of stink........because visitors would complain of the smell if the real stinky ones are prepared in the open

Sportsdude

[a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinky_tofu"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinky_tofu[/a]  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

I like hearing it from someone who's experienced it. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/liebe/g066.gif" border=0]

Sportsdude

that's why I gave the link. I've got really nothing to add.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

|