British Commonwealth

Started by Gopher, Jul 02 07 11:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Gopher

Does anyone know what it actually stands for, and what - if any benefits - there are in belonging to it?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

When the Empire died everything became a commonwealth. I think if your in the commonwealth you recognize the Queen as your head of state or used to.

Benefits, no idea. I think its more of an European Union like idea that never got off the ground.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

I just checked it out and discovered that Mozambique is a member and has no connection with the old British Empire, so I wonder if  this means that any country can join. Any ideas?

kitten

Doesn't it help with trade between the Commonwealth nations?  You have given me an idea for research.  
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

I don't really know, all I can think of is the commonwealth games.

kitten

My first thought as well.

Gopher

There's got to be more as both you and I are members and neither of us are athletes!

kitten

I can't recall any useful benefit to me, but someone must have a reason for it's existence.

Gopher

I'll look into it when I've got time, I've managed to whet my own curiosity.  

kitten

I will too.  I am curious.

Lise

Y'know. I have no idea....... but I grew up in not one but two British Commonwealth countries. Or at least one that used to be.

It's like living in a world that longs to be remembered as part of the once all-mighty British colony. Weird as it may seem but there were some parts of the country that liked the notion of once belonging to Britannia. The younger folks want to push ahead and forget the monarchy and the older generation flat-out refuses to look anywhere beyond that.

Confusing. But hey, it makes for a great debate every so often.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

You can apply to join the commonwealth.

When Canada became a country.. it left the commonwealth, became a country, then a few days later applied for commonwealth status.

It jsut gives you some special status with the UK in terms of trade and agreements and such.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Isis

Because we belong to the Commonwealth (Canada), if we are attacked we have the protection of the Queen yadadadada....and the same for them, if the Queens state is attacked, we can be demanded to action....yadadadada....however, we can act on our own accord and don't need permission to support things or act on things (I think?)
If you say "plz" because it's shorter than "please", then I'll say "no" because its shorter than "Yes"

Gopher

We'll just have to write to the Queen and find out - did you know that you get a reply to all letters that you send her?  

kitten

One thing valuable to a lot of former colonies is the automatic conferral of a seat in the U.N. if they join the Commonwealth.