Canada Day July 1- Favourite Canadian Foods?

Started by Lil Me, Jun 19 07 09:18

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Huckleberries and Chantrelles (not together of course)
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

kitten

Deer or moose meat (if you can find it anywhere!)
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Sportsdude

hmmm wild game they don't sell that at the grocery store.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

No, they sell farmed versions of the same animal.  If you want wild game, you need to get it from a hunter.  They don't sell it in stores.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Schadenfreude

You can get farm raised deer, elk or bison. I have not heard of farm raised moose.

Though perogies are not "Canadian", you can not go anywhere in AB, SK, MB (and perhaps other provinces) and not find perogies on the menu.
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

Devil

Pizza!

although not really a 'Canadian' food, this Canadian loves it more than any other food.

Lise

Beaver.

Oh er......

Viva la maple syrup.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

You often hear that Canada doesn't have that specific 'Canadian Food'......like hot dogs and apple pie is for the US, it has been said that we don't have that.  When you look at all the things mentioned here, I think that what it shows, is a menu as diverse as its people.  

Many of these favourites are all 'borrowed' from the people that have come from everywhere and have become OUR stamp, in a way.

I saw a little blurb on the news, that sushi will take its place alongside the hot dog at the ballparks.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

I like hotdogs, burgers, fries, pizza, pancakes with maple syrup...

in my mind, these make me feel "canadian"

Michel

Pâté chinois (shepherd pie)

The pizza and the steak submarines made by the Canadian-Greeks in Montréal huhum...

Schadenfreude

"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

purelife

Is that French for "torture," Shadey? ;)

Michel

PL is perv !  

It's a meat pie made originally with a bird called tourtre, unfortunately this bird has been killed to extinction quite rapidly. Today the meat used is pork and beef mixed.

purelife

I knew that it was a tart/pie, Michel.  I think that you misunderstood my original comment.  When I said "torture" I was thinking about my experience with them at I personally didn't enjoy these little meat pies...  

Michel

hehe ok, this meal is indeed a plot to destroy the hottie factor in any slim woman, I agree with you. Stay away from the tourtiere !

|