Thomas Tank Engine Recall

Started by Lise, Jun 15 07 06:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

A note to all the parents out there, there's been a recall on some products by Thomas the Tank Engine due to lead poisoning. If you haven't already, take the toys away from your kid and check the labels. For more info:

The toy maker [A title="RC2 Corporation" href="http://www.nytimes.com/mem/MWredirect.html?MW=http://custom.marketwatch.com/custom/nyt-com/html-companyprofile.asp&symb=RCRC"][FONT color=#004276]RC2 Corporation[/FONT][/A] pulled a number of its Thomas & Friends trains and accessory parts off the shelves yesterday after learning that the red and yellow paint used to decorate more than 1.5 million of the toys contained lead.    Lead, if ingested by children, can cause long-term neurological problems that affect learning and behavior.

"Parents should not delay in getting these toys away from their kids," Scott Wolfson, spokesman for the [A title="More articles about Consumer Product Safety Commission" href="http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/c/consumer_product_safety_commission/index.html?inline=nyt-org"][FONT color=#004276]Consumer Product Safety Commission[/FONT][/A], said yesterday.

An alert posted at a Web site devoted to the toy line, [A href="http://www.totallythomas.com/" target=_][FONT color=#004276]www.totallythomas.com[/FONT][/A], included a list of more than two dozen items affected by the recall. The company noted that toys that bear a code containing a "WJ" or "AZ" on the bottom of the toy or the inside of the battery door are not included in the recall.

[A href="http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/15/business/15recall.html?ref=business"][FONT size=1]http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/15/business/15recall.html?ref=business[/FONT][/A]  

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

stretchedout

Wow, imagine paying up to $70 per item for you toddler.  Crazy times!  After all, no matter what you get little people they usually have more fun with the big box, playing house!
C'mon, the city is sleeping!

Lil Me

Wow.  If Thomas is toxic, I wonder what happens to the poor kid who chews on Diesel 10?  Spontaneous combustion?

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

that was my favourite show growing up. To me Ringo wasn't a Beatle but a tiny conductor dude.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

LOL.  I had forgotten about Ringo.  Later, it was creepy to see George Carlin on a kids' show.  I kept waiting for him to say something inappropriate. I'm a huge fan of Tom Jackson (Billy Twofeathers) and watched North of 60 for years.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

yeah that weird. I watched it for 5 years and then Carlin shows up and I just thought he was just a funny dude. He was on Seasame Street too a couple times. Never knew he was an adult stand up guy.  

P.C.

He was excellent in his day.  And as much as I hate to say it, when he got straight, he just wasn't as funny anymore.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

P.C.

Sportsdude

ahhhhh

that's usually what happens with performers. Take them off the drugs and they're not creative.

stretchedout

Nonsense.  The illusion to the performer is that while they are on drugs (alcohol being the worst) they think they are more creative and play better.  Reality, the best songs were written while the creaters were sober.  And the best performances are while the performers are sober.  Next question!

Schadenfreude

stretchedout wrote:
Nonsense.  The illusion to the performer is that while they are on drugs (alcohol being the worst) they think they are more creative and play better.  Reality, the best songs were written while the creaters were sober.  And the best performances are while the performers are sober.  Next question![/DIV]
 My, you are an expert in everything.
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

P.C.

Nonsense.  The illusion to the performer is that while they are on drugs (alcohol being the worst) they think they are more creative and play better.  Reality, the best songs were written while the creaters were sober.  And the best performances are while the performers are sober.  Next question!

And that may be true......generally speaking.  But I wasn't speaking in general terms, I was specifically referring to George Carlin......and I maintain that George Carlin's career took the fast track to the dumpers when he 'got clean'.  

Your comment that the best songs were written while the creators were sober contradicts your praise of the Beatles talent in another thread.  There was a heap-o-songs of theirs, that were written under the influence of all kinds of various drugs.

Lise

Ringo was a voice on Thomas the Tank Engine? Gee... you learn something knew everyday. Personally, I can't stand the show. The trains, the minature people.... creepy.  
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

stretchedout

P.C. wrote:

And that may be true......generally speaking.  But I wasn't speaking in general terms, I was specifically referring to George Carlin......and I maintain that George Carlin's career took the fast track to the dumpers when he 'got clean'.  

Your comment that the best songs were written while the creators were sober contradicts your praise of the Beatles talent in another thread.  There was a heap-o-songs of theirs, that were written under the influence of all kinds of various drugs.

-----------------------------------------

The concepts for a few of the songs may have come while high on LSD, for The Beatles work from '66 - '67 but the development of the songs was in the studio under the direction of the sober Sir George Martin.  He didn't tolerate intoxication in his domain.