Started by Gopher, Mar 28 07 11:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Gopher

witnessing the indignity of others?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

purelife

Could you define "indignity?"

Gopher

Well, like when something makes them go red in the face with embarrassment.

Lil Me

emotional cleansing.  catharsis.  part of the human condition.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

pitbullca.bc

the need to feel supreme?

Gopher

I wondered about its being our way of expressing relief that the same thing's not happened to us.

Lil Me

and makes us feel ok about our own experiences.  We're not alone in amking mistakes.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Russ

I agree with Lil Me's answer. Its because we can laugh at someone else's expense and feel better inside that its not happening to you.. and probably because you can relate as to whats happening and you KNOW what that person is feeling and can see thier expressions..

I think.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

I don't know. I just can't help it. Like a man getting his nuts whacked by a baseball... isn't that funny?[/DIV]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

49er

[A href="http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=44kdp1y"]canadian idol[/A]

Lise

LOL. That's so funny. I can't believe she did that.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

I don't enjoy seeing some hurt or upset.  I wouldn't laugh if someone hurt him/herself.  I never understand why some videos on America's Funniest Home Videos where people get hurt (accidently) is so funny.  I don't find any of that stuff funny.

But, if people didn't enjoy watching the indignity of others, then, America's Home Videos show wouldn't be doing so well.  

Lise

True, enough purelife.... but I still can't help it when I see something silly happen on AFV.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

I only laugh if the person is laughing as well.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."