Muslim women will have to remove face coverings to vote in Quebec election

Started by Russ, Mar 23 07 02:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

[DIV class=storyheader] [H2] [/H2] [H2]Linky: [A href="http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=55752dca-bb11-4120-a14a-0b12b14bb0f5&k=59006"]http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=55752dca-bb11-4120-a14a-0b12b14bb0f5&k=59006[/A][/H2]  

[H2]Muslim women will have to remove face coverings to vote in Quebec election[/H2]

[DIV class=feed_details] [H4]Canadian Press[/H4][SPAN]Published: Friday, March 23, 2007[/SPAN]

QUEBEC (CP) - Muslim women will have to remove their face coverings if they want to vote in Monday's Quebec election.

Quebec's chief returning officer has reversed an earlier decision and is now telling Muslim women who wear a niqab to show their faces when they vote. Facing threats from ordinary citizens that they would show up at polling stations wearing masks, Marcel Blanchet said in Quebec City Friday that voting day must proceed without incident.

Blanchet had to get two bodyguards as a result of his initial decision and Elections Quebec had received threatening phone calls and e-mails.

[img class=thumbnail id=storyphoto height=150 alt="Quebec's chief electoral officer Marcel Blanchet has reversed an earlier decision and is now telling Muslim women who wear a niqab to show their faces when they vote. (CPimages /Jacques Boissinot)" src="http://media.canada.com/cp/national/20070323/n032359A.jpg?size=l" width=150 border=0]

[H4 id=storyphotocaption]Quebec's chief electoral officer Marcel Blanchet has reversed an earlier decision and is now telling Muslim women who wear a niqab to show their faces when they vote. (CPimages /Jacques Boissinot)[/H4] [H6 id=storyphotocredit][/H6] Quebec's three main political leaders had asked Blanchet to reverse the decision.

Blanchet says he's using special powers under electoral law to make the change.

Action democratique du Quebec Leader Mario Dumont says the law must be evenly applied to all citizens on voting day.

© The Canadian Press 2007
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

um lookie here:

[h2]Veiled Quebeckers don't have to lift niqab to vote[/h2][!-- /dateline --]LAG MÉGANTIC, SAGUENAY, QUEBEC — Muslim women wearing a niqab will not be required to lift their veils to prove their identity when they vote on Monday, Quebec's Chief Electoral Officer has ruled, once again thrusting the sensitive issue of religious diversity in the province to the fore. Since the fall, Quebec has been embroiled in a bitter debate over accommodating religious minorities, especially devout Muslims and Hasidic Jews.[/p] Resentment about minorities has played a part in the surging popularity of Mario Dumont of the Action Démocratique du Québec, while Parti Québécois Leader André Boisclair has been put on the defensive about it.[/p] Denis Dion, a spokesman for the Chief Electoral Officer, Marcel Blanchet, said yesterday that the niqab ruling had nothing to do with religion and is similar to someone who shows up without ID cards.[/p]
"We have a plan B for someone in a special situation like that. If someone can vouch for their identity, we will allow that person to vote," Mr. Dion said. "The same applies for a woman wearing a veil." Mr. Dion said.[/p] Monday's election is considered a three-way race in many of the province's 125 ridings.[/p] Mr. Charest said he supported Mr. Blanchet's right to decide, insisting that each case has to be dealt with individually.[/p] The niqab exception came because, under new rules in Quebec this year, a voter has to present a photo ID before getting a ballot. (Most other provinces don't have such a rule because they don't require IDs for voting.)[/p] The niqab covers the head and face, leaving only the eyes uncovered. [/p] "In some cases it's not necessary for a woman to lift her veil if someone can vouch for her," Mr. Charest said. "I believe that every case needs to be judged on its merit when a person presents herself to vote and if need be, that we clearly identify the person."[/p] Each party, he added, is represented at all polling stations and if a problem arises, they are in a position to do what is necessary to properly identify a voter.[/p] But Mr. Boisclair says the situation is unacceptable. "I've always defended the Quebec model but now I think we've reached a limit."[/p] The controversy became public after election workers who were briefed on it complained anonymously to the media.[/p] Mr. Boisclair said this breached a "fundamental and non-negotiable principle" in Quebec. "If these people -- whom I respect -- need to show their faces to have their pictures taken for them to have their medicare cards and their drivers' licences, why couldn't they show their face to go and vote?"[/p]Story Continues:[/p][a href="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070323.wxveil23/BNStory/National/home"]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070323.wxveil23/BNStory/National/home[/a]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

SD, did you read what i put? The story you posted was overturned.

Sportsdude

Russ

lol, to be honest i was confused by the stories i saw and had to read them all.

thats why i posted the one i did.

Sportsdude

I know very strange about newspapers having different stories.  

P.C.

It's about the same story.

It doesn't seem like a conflict of media perspective ......they're stories on two different dates that reflect how it's developed.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

ForShure

According to CTV News at 9:30pm ET Muslim women must remove their face-covering veils, or niqabs if they go to the voter polls.

[a href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070323/elections_muslim_070323/20070323?hub=Canada"]http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070323/elections_muslim_070323/20070323?hub=Canada[/a]

Muslim voters required to remove face coverings

Updated Fri. Mar. 23 2007 9:30 PM ET

Muslim women who wish to vote in Monday's Quebec election must now show their faces when they cast their ballots, the province's chief electoral officer announced Friday.

Marcel Blanchet decided to reverse an earlier decision and concluded that Muslim women must remove their face -covering veils, or niqabs, when they vote.

"We were afraid that many people would arrive with a bags on their head, with a Darth Vader mask on the head, with a Halloween costume ... and cause some trouble, refuse to remove the mask," Denis Dion, a spokesman for the chief electoral officer, told reporters.

Blanchet said he was exercising his authority to amend articles in the electoral law to avoid disruptions when residents go to the polls. Prior to the reversal, the law did not include any provisions prohibiting voters from covering their faces.

"Relevant articles to electoral laws were modified to add the following: any person showing up at a polling station must be uncovered to exercise the right to vote," said Blanchet, who was assigned bodyguards after having received threatening phone calls and emails from voters outraged over his initial decision.

Just 24 hours ago, Elections Quebec had decided Muslim women would be allowed to wear the niqab, which leaves only a woman's eyes visible, if they sign a sworn statement attesting to their identity, show two pieces of identification and are accompanied by someone who can vouch for their identity.

Blanchet's initial decision prompted non-Muslim citizens to threaten they would show up at polling stations wearing masks.

One newspaper even suggested to readers how they could "join the masquerade."
"They said look, this has gone too far, we cannot upset the serenity of the voting process, people at the polling stations cannot deal with this sort of silliness, it disrupts the other voters," CTV Montreal's John Grant said.

"So anybody now wearing anything on their face that disguises them, cannot vote. That's the only course of action they saw fit," Grant said of Elections Quebec.

The reversal was blasted by Muslim groups, who said the decision could turn some of their members away from the polls.

"I am so saddened, I doubt many of these women will show up at the polls on Monday after all this mockery," said Sarah Elgazzar of the Canadian Council on American-Islamic Relations. "It's insulting."

ripper

These muslims and other minorities are way too sensitive. They come to a strange land and expect the host to bend to their every whim. If i was to go to a muslim country, i'd be expected to follow their rules or else. Talk about two face.

Russ

heres a picture that Gopher had of some ladies posing in front of a tourist attraction.

Gopher

They'll show this back home, to prove they've been to wherever it was.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

ripper

Gopher wrote:
 They'll show this back home, to prove they've been to wherever it was.[/DIV]
 Not to sound ignorant, but how do they prove that that was them in the picture. It could've been me for all they know.  

Gopher

Heaven only knows, that's the whole point. Why take the picture in the first place?
A fool's paradise is better than none.