Breastfeeding in public

Started by purelife, Feb 02 07 09:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

If I had a zillion billion dollars in the world, I would donate a big part of it to go into the Science of Getting Men to Lactate on Demand.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

What's "lactate on demand" mean?

Sportsdude

lol!

You never know anybody seen Meet the Fockers? I could it do it, wouldn't bother me.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

Yup, I saw meet the fockers.  Ahh...*ding ding* now, I get what Lise meant.  (gosh, took me a while.)

Sportsdude

I've always had the view, I'm a guy I'm lucky I don't have to do what the women do so I will all in power do as much as possible to make their life easier.  

Gopher

Nice sentiment, Sportsdude. I'll do all I can to emulate you.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

Well they say growing up is when you get the most of your views on life and well in the loving each other and helping each out department my parents are the best examples in the world.  My mom had me and my sis and my dad dropped his weekday job to take care of us while mom had the better job.  I've grown up with a Mr. Mom so to speak.  I've been taught that having a family is like a team sport.  You've got to all work well together and gell well and help each other out.  Couldn't ask for better parents.  

49er

breastfeeding in public is pretty common nowadays in my area..........I don't think people notice it at all especially if the mother has a towel or blanket over her shoulder.  I was at the airport waiting for my flight a few months ago and the mother was breastfeeding......I didn't even know 'till she pulled away and the baby cried, all along I thought the baby was sleeping in her arms.  

Sportsdude

You live in San Fran 49er try doing that here in the midwest you'd get those crazy people yelling at you.  

P.C.

Well, I think that's the point, 49er....you DON'T notice when a minimal amount of discretion is used.  I always think it's kind of a peaceful moment between mom and baby.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

Lise Wrote:
  Bottom line, I'm all for breast feeding in public and it should really be up to the woman whether she wants it done discreetly or not. I'm not about to step in and tell her otherwise.

purelife wrote:[/DIV]

Agreed Lise.  Oh, that other women has some nerve to tell her what she should and should not do.  I say, keep your beliefs to yourself.

I agree with this, I thought I put it in this thread but I obviously put it in the PDA thread. To each his/her own. <rhetorically speaking> who are you to judge someone elses methods? Is it affecting you doing what you are doing? If it is.. ask yourself why.. are you in someone elses business?

I tend to feel that a little discretion will keep the comotion down between different parties that are vocal about it(thats what I meant by discretion, Im not one to care because it doesnt affect me, and if it does, Ill look away LOL)... interesting you say lise that you find men tend to tell women how to raise their kids.. Ive only noticed women doing that. Between my mother, her sisters, and anties telling each other, and then commenting on other kids in public and how they should/ should not be allowed to do this and that.

But since you ARE a mother(Im not and will never be) you probably have a better perspective than I do on who comments on what.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lise

You're right about women telling women how to raise children. But men give judgement too, they don't say a lot but the way they look at a woman breast feeding in public.... well, the faces tell a lot.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Ally

I do it all the time, but I do it without showing anything.

I bought a special blanket that actually buttons around my neck and is quite large(as my daughter likes to move her hands and would expose me with a simple receiving blanket).
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)

Bitter

Again, as in the Public Displays Of Affliction Thread - I'll try to be fair.
First off, I'm not a female, nor a Mother, so I can't honestly speculate from that position.
All I can offer is that if nursing is a necessity for a baby's health, then of course, it's a no-brainer.
There is nothing more fragile than the life of an infant & in my opinion, we must do all that we can to ensure the protection & health of our children & if nursing helps carry life forward, then I'm all for it. Again, so long as the mother at least tries to be discreet - I.E. NOT ripping open her blouse to expose the twins to the elements.

P.C.

so long as the mother at least tries to be discreet - I.E. NOT ripping open her blouse to expose the twins to the elements.

LOL, Bitter

I don't think the question should be or IS....should you breast feed in public....I agree....it IS a no brainer.

The question should be, do you believe you should try to be discreet while breast feeding in public or is it OK regardless.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.