Terror Plots in Birmingham

Started by Lise, Jan 31 07 03:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Wasn't that scary? A bunch of terrorist plotting to kidnap a person with the intention of beheading him on national TV? It's all over the news, you can't avoid it. Yikes!!!!

[SPAN class=news_story_title]U.K. Terror Police Arrest 9 Over Alleged Kidnap Plot (Update7) [/SPAN]
 By Nick Allen

Jan. 31 (Bloomberg) -- U.K. police arrested eight people in anti-terrorist raids on homes in Birmingham, central England, after uncovering an alleged plot to kidnap a Muslim soldier. A ninth suspect was later arrested on a freeway in the area.

Police said they searched 12 locations in the city, the second largest in the U.K., and sealed buildings including an Islamic bookshop. The alleged plot involved abducting a British soldier in his 20s and possibly beheading him, two people with knowledge of the investigation said.

``A major counter-terrorism operation took place today, Home Office spokesman Stuart Green said by telephone. He said Home Secretary John Reid was being ``fully briefed on the operation and is receiving regular updates as developments occur.''

[A href="http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aPYF1LaYuz4U&refer=home"]http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aPYF1LaYuz4U&refer=home[/A]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

Yeah I heard about it briefly until the senationalist news here started covering this hoax luggage threat in Boston like 9/11 happened again.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

You know.. I cant help but think that if enough terrorist plots actually succeed.. that its going to anger most of the western world to the point that people of that faith and nationality will be persecuted to almost extinction and whole areas of the middle east will be turned to glass. I dont think thats what these terrorists have in mind though.. no matter what they believe, its not going to work over the long run.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

Muslims are already being treated horribly, its already happening.  Heck this is what the radicals want so they can go "See, I told you so they (the western world) hate us."  The more dumb things we do over in the middle east the more we confirm the beliefs of the radicals and people who were once our friends become thy enemy.  Thats how radicalism works.  

For example Lebanon.  Its split up into different religions.  The mainly government backing Christian sect has joined the Hezzbollah groups.  Now these two groups would never join together in the same cause.  But since last summer they've been seen hand in hand.

The taliban has resurfaced in Afghanistan not because people want to see the Taliban back. But because they are the opposition to the government which is then precieved to be backed by the US.  When NATO comes in and just slashes and burns all of the poppy crop in southern afghanistan without telling the farmers why it is wrong the people will look to somebody thats against the current forces, so they looked towards the Taliban.

Samething happened in Cuba, Fidel and his group got the will of the people, they were tired of the mafia run Cuba under Batista.
Samething happened here between the coloney's and the King.

You lose a battle when you have lost the moderates to the other side.

Russ

I agree with you in most part SD. Its already happening, but not to the extent where they are persecuted extensively and racially separated.

Afghanistan is being led now more towards a get teh respect of the people, and they are trying to get approval for the farmers to grow it for medical purposes here, as it would be immensely cheaper than the way its currently produced. A lot of the plans being brought forward are from Canadian and British battle plans.. which are notably different than american ones. US planners in Iraq are looking at how Afghanistan is being run. Its not perfect there, but better than Iraq... currently.

Everything changes at the drop of a hat. I only hope that an understanding or solution is reached before WWIII which seems to be smoldering kicks off.

Sportsdude

Oh and that 'big terrorist threat' that happened today was because a campaign from Cartoon Network for an upcoming movie Aqua Teen Hunger Force  

Russ

LOL! I just saw that SD. Its in conjunction with CNN according to the evening news here.    

Sportsdude

Yup mass hysteria hits the streets over a cartoon.  Its official we are out of our minds.