Put Down Your Key And No One Will Be Hurt

Started by TehBorken, Jan 20 07 04:58

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[h2 style="margin-bottom: 1px;"]Put Down Your Key And No One Will Be Hurt[/h2]Mr. Rau, a 31-year-old Minneapolis lawyer, has a fairly straightforward approach to evaluating airport security procedures. ''I'll give praise where it's due, but not where it's not,'' Mr. Rau said.[/p]Praise is due to the screeners in Minnesota, he said. But not for the screeners at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, who recently confiscated his car key as a prohibited item.[/p]''I'm leaving Dallas on a Sunday and at security it's the usual stuff -- shoes off, laptop out. My carry-on bag goes through the X-ray machine and I hear the infamous 'bag check!''' Mr. Rau recalled.[/p]Here we go, he thought. ''A screener says, 'Sir, is this your bag?' And I say, 'Yeah, and I need a private room if you're going to go through it,' '' he recalled telling the screener.[/p]Mr. Rau explained: ''As an attorney, I carry documents, and because of the nature of what I do -- I do intellectual property law -- opening them up in a public place could have repercussions for myself or for my clients.''  [/p]He was told private rooms were for personal screening, not for screening bags. That was not the case in Minneapolis, on the rare occasions when Mr. Rau said he was randomly selected for a secondary screening. ''In Minneapolis, if you ask, they always give you a private room and they're nice about it,'' he said.[/p]At the Dallas checkpoint, the contents of his bag were dumped on the table. ''They pull out my car key,'' he said.[/p]''What's this?'' an inspector asked.   [/p]''My car key,'' Mr. Rau said.[/p]Mr. Rau drives an Audi. Audis now come with stylish ignition keys designed to house the key inside a holder, preventing rips and wear on pocket liners. You push a button on a flat two-inch shaft and the key slides out.[/p]As he demonstrated it, Mr. Rau could see the word forming in the minds of the screeners, now three, on his case: switchblade. [/p] ''Now the bells are ringing,'' he said. After running the key through the X-ray machine three times, the security committee reached a conclusion. ''Well, sir, that's a switchblade style, and that's a prohibited item,'' Mr. Rau said he was told. ''We're going to have to confiscate that.''[/p]Paperwork, of course, was required. His driver's license and other identification papers were photocopied.[/p]''And of course, I didn't have my car keys,'' he said. Luckily, he keeps a spare in a little magnetized box under his car. But, it cost $300 to replace the key at the dealer, who must add a computer code for a specific car.[/p]
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Lise

It's hard to be sorry for someone who drives an Audi............................
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.