Take a nap - good for you!

Started by Lise, Jan 16 07 11:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Maybe we should bring this to our boss on our next meeting. How about sleeping for at least an hour on the job and getting paid for it?

[H3][FONT size=5]A nap a day keeps lost productivity at bay: author[/FONT][/H3] [P class=timeStamp]Updated Mon. Jan. 15 2007 10:15 AM ET

[P class=storyAttributes]Mary Nersessian, CTV.ca News

A nap a day will keep lost productivity at bay, says the author of a new book, who says sleeping can change your life.

Research on the benefits of napping should serve as a wake-up call for employers as the drain on businesses is staggering, says Harvard-trained research scientist Sara Mednick.

According to a Cornell University study, sleep-deprived workers cost U.S. industry $150 billion a year in reduced job productivity and fatigue-related accidents.

Sleep deprivation can also lead to a whole host of health problems such as increased risk of heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, depression, decreased libido and obesity, said Mednick, author of the book "Take a Nap! Change your life."

"What I found with napping research is actually that naps can actually help solve a lot of these problems," she told CTV's Canada AM.

Employers should sit up and take notice, says Mednick, who is an inveterate napper herself.

Mednick's research began six years ago when she was a graduate student at Harvard University. She survived her grueling schedule by slamming back shots of espresso and splashing cold water on her face.

But it was a nap on a shabby old couch in the department of psychology that changed her ways -- and the subject of her doctoral thesis.

[FONT size=1]Read more: [/FONT][A href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070115/takeanap_070115/20070115/"][FONT size=1]http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070115/takeanap_070115/20070115/[/FONT][/A]

[FONT size=1]Video: [/FONT][A class=blacklink onclick="jvascript: window.DOH!(this.href,'bctvVideo','width=900,height=646,left=0,top=0,status=no,scrollbars=no,resizeable=no,toolbar=no'); return false" href="http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/HTMLTemplate?tf=/ctv/mar/video/new_player.html&cf=ctv/mar/ctv.cfg&hub=Health&video_link_high=mms://ctvbroadcast.ctv.ca/video/2007/01/15/ctvvideologger2_500kbps_2007_01_15_1168866139.wmv&video_link_low=mms://ctvbroadcast.ctv.ca/video/2007/01/15/ctvvideologger2_218kbps_2007_01_15_1168864504.wmv&clip_start=00:09:19.85&clip_end=00:03:55.23&clip_caption=Canada AM: Sara Mednick, author, 'Take a Nap: Change Your Life'&clip_id=ctvnews.20070115.00178000-00178908-clip1&subhub=video&no_ads=&sortdate=20070115&slug=takeanap_070115&archive=CTVNews"][FONT size=1]Canada AM: Sara Mednick, author, 'Take a Nap: Change Your Life'  [SCRIPT language=DOH!Script] document.write(format_clip_duration('00:03:55.23')); // see common.js [/SCRIPT]  3:55[/FONT][/A][FONT size=1] [/FONT]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

My friend who used to work at a Chiropractor's office took 1 hour naps everyday.  

I wish that the Corporate world would consider this.  Ah well, we do have care/sick days.

Sportsdude

I used to take a nap at the beginning of math class then by the time the class was over I was ready to learn and focused.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

The worst time to concentrate on your job is straight after lunch. I don't know why but I always nearly want to fall asleep after a meal. Worst if I have something awful like a root canal.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

You know, kids nap all the time when they were verrry young.  It's interesting to see how habits and routines are broken and new ones are made when entering "adulthood."    

Sportsdude

Lise

True enough, purelife. We've become slaves to our jobs! Rather than listen to what's good for your body, we work like dogs because we have to.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

Im half in the midst of a nap right now.. zzzz
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

purelife

I read an interesting article (don't remember from where) saying that there's something about finishing a meal that makes you sleepy.  It emits something to our bodies that sends a signal to our brain to make us want to fall asleep.  I forget what it was.  

There were many times where I wished that I had a nap.

Gopher

I often fall asleep about 6.30 p.m. - just having had a meal. If I do, it almost always ensures a good night's sleep later on.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Lise

You know, I vaguely remember something like that too. Some type of hormone that's released into your body because your body is satisfied and you need to relax or snooze. Kinda like sex.  
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

Russ

mexican and hispanic "siesta's"
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

purelife

The Spanish really knows how to have fun.  Their work life ends at noonish.  After that it's party party and party.  They have the best liquer, I think (as I'm told)

Gopher

Get the best weather too.
A fool's paradise is better than none.