Rednecks

Started by Gopher, Oct 26 06 11:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Gopher

Anyone like to conjecture what percentage of the population of the USA is constituted by them?
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

when they say warsh, them are nice, use racial slurs to take about non white people, have a rebel flag on there truck, a GOP sticker, gun rack, smoke, spit chew, and can't form a sentence and only listen to country music.

Thats just about everyone in the rural areas.

My question is how do rural Canadians sound when they speak? When I get to Canada and go into the rural areas I'm going to get culture shock when I don't hear a 'southern accent'. Not trying to be mean or anything to southern people since I'm 'technically' one of them although I don't claim them since we parted ways a while back but when ever I go back to 'teh cuntry' I immediately switch to a southern accent. Its quite fun. Anybody have different accents? My normal voice has no accent at all but once I leave the city my voice morphs so I can fit in and not look like an outsider.

Funny thing I've been using a lot mor british/canadian lingo and as you can tell by my writing I've incorporated britsh spellings. colour, nieghbourhood, and so on. fun.

But now my normal voice is northern plains/canadian. I only have one answer why that its become Canadian and thats probably because I watch CBC and CTV on the internet, listen to CBC Radio 1 on my sirius radio.

And I watch Vancouver based tv shows. Da Vinci's Inquest for example. I mimick those guys in speaking.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

By your definition a few of those fit me so I guess Im a redneck in Vancouver, lol.      
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Russ

My question is how do rural Canadians sound when they speak? When I get to Canada and go into the rural areas I'm going to get culture shock when I don't hear a 'southern accent'. Not trying to be mean or anything to southern people since I'm 'technically' one of them although I don't claim them since we parted ways a while back but when ever I go back to 'teh cuntry' I immediately switch to a southern accent. Its quite fun. Anybody have different accents? My normal voice has no accent at all but once I leave the city my voice morphs so I can fit in and not look like an outsider.

I get a noticable accent when Im overseas for two months at a time. When I first get back even I can tell when I speak I have an accent. Goes away after a week. Its normal.. and proven.

And I watch Vancouver based tv shows. Da Vinci's Inquest for example. I mimick those guys in speaking.[/DIV]
 Its filmed in vancouver but its mostly american actors.

Sportsdude

Not Da Vinci's Inquest though that was a CBC production its on WGN here. The other show I watch is Smallville and I watch the show to catch the actors Canadian accents since most of the time they're trying to hide them. Most of the cast on that show is Canadian or lives in Canada now.

And no Russ just because you have a few of my stereo types I wrote down doesn't make you a redneck. You need like 7 of 10 or something, trust me if you lived down south you could seperate between the two. The rednecks celebrate that they are rednecks. The other people don't.

kitten

I don't know, Russ.  That gun-rack on the back of your dilapidated pickup might be a tip-off.  Otherwise I doubt that you would fit the stereotype.  Too well-educated, for one thing.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Russ

Really? I talked to the Coroner on DVI who's American and he said most of them were. But I met him drinking at Cardero's so...

Thank you kitten and Sportsdude, but I was joking about being a redneck. I DO fit some of the comments though, LOL. I actually own a gun rack even, was thinking about putting it in my truck to try to stop breakins.

kitten

Deter break-ins?  Wave bye-bye to the nice truck, Russ!  The gun rack would be added.value.

P.C.

lol....I was just going to say the same thing Kitten.  I think it would entice the low-lifes....definitely an added feature for them.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

kitten

Sometimes around here I think if your vehicle hasn't been stolen at least once, then it has a dead motor.

Russ

True kitten. Ha! Although Im smiling Im really not. Ive had two vehicles stolen. One was returned the other wasnt, and I didnt get out of it what I thought I should have. The one that was returned was stolen from a store in the middle of the afternoon and driven four blocks away where they stole the radio, but left all the tools and cd's in the truck ?? They found it the same night.

Sportsdude

Really bad on the car break ins. Oh well I guess thats why theres skytrain lol. the new lines should help. Although I'd go further no matter what the cost because it would cost more down the road if the govt. wanted to build something.

Lise

Car break-ins? BC has the highest car thief occurance in all of Canada. Sad but true. We had so many, I think we lost count. That's what you get when you have a sporty little car. Heck, we should get a Volvo next time.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

I had my '92 Mazda 323 stolen.  Luckily the police stopped the thieves on suspicion, and I got it back with only the locks punched out.  It could have been worse.  Now even if I just go to the grocery I put the club on.  

Lise

I get neurotic... I empty out everything and leave the coin & glove compartment out so they can see I have absolutely nothing to hide. Fracken annoying especially when you need a loonie to get your buggy but it's worth it. Have not had any break-ins to date.... touch wood.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.