Madonna's Baby Adoption woes

Started by Lise, Oct 25 06 10:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Poor Madonna, she can't get a break. I think she should at least be given the chance as so many children are in dire need of a good foster home. The media, should by all accounts, BUTT OUT of this matter for once.

[FONT color=#ff0000 size=6]Madonna's adoption fears[/FONT] Pop star Madonna, speaking publicly for the first time about her adoption of a Malawian boy, said she was disappointed by the controversy it caused and worried it would discourage others from adopting children in Africa.

In an interview with talk show host Oprah Winfrey, to be aired later today, Madonna said she was drawn to one-year-old David when she first saw him in the arms of an eight-year-old girl who was living with HIV/AIDS.

"I became transfixed by him ... but I didn't yet know I was going to adopt him," she told Winfrey, according to extracts from the interview issued on the TV host's website.

The American singer said she and her husband, British film director Guy Ritchie, has planned to adopt two years ago, without knowing where. She said it was her charity work in Malawi, a central African country that has been hard hit by AIDS, that brought them to David.

David had spent most of his life in an orphanage with 500 other children, although his father was alive.

Madonna said she was told that his mother and three siblings had died of AIDS.

"From my perspective, there was no one looking after David's welfare," she tells Winfrey.

Madonna was granted an interim adoption order by the Malawian government and final approval is expected in 18 months.

The child was flown last week to London to join Madonna at her home in London with her other two children, daughter Lourdes, 10, and son Rocco, 6.

But the adoption plans sparked controversy.

Malawian child rights groups, accusing the government of breaking the law in granting an interim adoption order to a non-resident, are challenging the process in court. Critics of the adoption say Madonna used her fame and wealth to fast-track the process.

The child's father, Yohane Banda, said at the weekend he never intended his son to be adopted.

Madonna said that when she met David he had severe pneumonia and could hardly breathe. She did not want to leave him in the orphanage, which did not have medicines to treat him.

"We got permission to take him to a clinic to have a bronchial dilator put on him ... He had pneumonia and was given an injection of antibiotics. He's still a little bit ill, not completely free of his pneumonia, but he's much better than he was when we found him," she said.

Madonna said she believed the media had manipulated David's father to say he did not know what he had agreed to.

"I do not believe that is true. I sat in that room, I looked into that man's eyes," Madonna said. "I believe, at this point in time, he's been terrorised by the media."

She said she was disappointed by the media controversy.

"I'm disappointed because it discourages other people from doing the same thing - for anybody who had the idea that they, too, would like to open their home and give a life to a child living in an orphanage who might possibly not live past the age of 5," she said.

"I feel like the media is doing a great disservice to all the orphans of Africa, period, not just Malawi, by turning it into such a negative thing."

Reuters

[A href="http://www.theage.com.au/news/people/madonnas-adoption-fears/2006/10/26/1161749218705.html"][FONT size=1]http://www.theage.com.au/news/people/madonnas-adoption-fears/2006/10/26/1161749218705.html[/FONT][/A]

[/BOD]  
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

As much as I laugh at madonna and think the media gives the celebrities too big of a head about themselves. I do agree, they are shooting themselves in the foot on this one.

Having been to africa I can agree with madonna that its mostly malarky about the father and the child welfare group. They know if they complain it will cause strife in the media and get the western world to give them more money.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims