No Democracy for you- there's money at stake!

Started by TehBorken, Sep 14 06 05:27

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

via /.

A short article on Doctor Dobbs Journal about [a  href="http://www.ddj.com/dept/security/193000399"]the Hack that couldn't be done[/a].

Hacking a Diebold voting machine was the focus of Cigital's Gary McGraw's keynote at SD Best Practices. He discussed '[a href="http://itpolicy.princeton.edu/voting/"]Security Analysis of the Diebold AccuVote-TS Voting Machine,[/a]' a paper released by Edward Felten, Ari Feldman, and Alex Halderman of the Princeton Center for Information Technology Policy.
[br style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 128);"][span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 128);"]'T[/span][span style="font-weight: bold; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 128);"]he paper details a simple method whereby the Princeton team was able to compromise the physical security of a Diebold voting machine, infecting it with a virus that could change voting results and spread by memory-card to other machines of the same type.[/span][span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 128);"]'[/span]
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]
Diebold looks slimier and slimier every passing week, but I'm more disturbed by Joe Demma's, Salt Lake's chief elections officer, response to Bruce Funk's actions. Granted, Funk acted by going around Demma by calling in Black Box Voting to check the Diebold machines, when presumably Demma is supposed to be responsible for that (just my guess as he's the chief elections officer).

However, Demma seems more incensed at Funk because he may cost the state $40,000 for Diebold's astronomical recertification fee. He doesn't seem to be worried that people might not trust these machines. He doesn't seem to care that a state officer was worried enough to call in a non-profit third party to verify the integrity of these machines. I mean, these things could without question affect the outcome of a vote, the foundation for a democratic republic! But instead of worrying about these machines he's clearly more upset about the $40,000 and Funk not talking to him about his concerns regarding the voting machines.

And of COURSE Diebold is going to tell you the machines are fine and fair. Sheesh, they want to make money don't they?

Isn't it great that chief elections officers have their priorities straight?

Give me a ballot sheet and a pencil any day over these closed, proprietary black box machines.  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.