New Hope for US Democracy over Extremist Fascism?

Started by Adam_Fulford, Aug 25 06 10:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam_Fulford

[DIV class=document][A href="www.nosleepovers.org"]News from the front lines— the judge is thinking[/A].  

We had our hearing this afternoon, and we are still alive! The judge ordered argument on whether he has jurisdiction in this case, based on Bilbray's arguments that the US Constitution says the House and Senate judge who belongs in their chambers.

Bilbray's argument goes like this: The Constitution calls for each chamber to judge its members. Since Brian Bilbray was sworn in on June 13 (before the votes were all counted, and 17 days before the certification) this judge has no jurisdiction and would be a violation for the court to judge that which properly belongs to the legislative branch.

WELL! All that sounds great until you hear Mr. Lehto argue. Oh my, what a case he presented.

His argument? That if Bilbray's argument is correct, then everything is topsy turvy (my term, not his!). Saith he, read the rest of the Constitution, meant to be interpreted in its entirety.

The Constitution reserves for the states the method and timing of the federal elections. That includes counting the votes – that means finish counting the votes. That means if you have a contest you have to recount the votes, and until you have done that, the state's right to exercise its obligations under the constitution are not met.

So, if you still agree with Mr. Bilbray, then you must conclude that all that is needed to cut off the state's right to its procedures is rush to swear in! Who cares if the count is accurate? Who cares if the ROV played games? Who cares if the PEOPLE are not able to select the candidate of their choice through the election process fully played out?

If rushing to swear in wrests the ability to count votes away from hands of the people, then what is the point of certification? It is rendered null, without point, without gravitas. What the heck, what is the point of voting? Let the Registrar "elect" (select?) our representatives to the House.

And to the judge, he cautioned, how can it be that a rush to swear in a candidate, an act of the legislature (House) is of no consequence to the courts? How can the House render this judge (State Judge) powerless, when the Constitution says we Californians get to count our votes according to processes the Constitution says we get to set!

I have put this in plain terms.

Paul's argument was so eloquent that I found myself on the verge of mistiness at one point. My words tell you much of the argument— but I can't do the presentation justice. He has set up the classic tensions, though, between different parts of the Constitution, and also the tensions between Federal and States' rights.

This argument was so well done, that about three quarters of the way through, I finally put down my pen and just listened and enjoyed. I knew I was watching a little slice of history, and I didn't want to miss it "working". But I got the gist of it for you and will transcribe my notes later.

The great news is that the judge paid close attention. Paul had him really engaged at some points. The judge has taken the issue "under submission". Meaning he has to think about it, do some research or have it done for him, before he decides.

At 1:30 pm Tuesday, we'll be back in court, and he will announce his decision whether he has jurisdiction to decide this case, or whether the power of the Federal government is plenary (or supreme), under our facts.

If he gives us the go ahead, then he will hear other argument, and presumably will decide what documents we can get from the ROV.

So we wait. Waiting is the hardest.

Judy Hess
Coordinator

CA 50 Action Committee
[A href="http://www.nosleepovers.org/"][FONT color=#000080]www.nosleepovers.org[/FONT][/A]

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
– Benjamin Franklin 1759