Characters Taverna Davie Street Rips Waiters Off

Started by Some Chick, Aug 02 06 08:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Some Chick

Do not ever go there.

Typically after work my coworkers and I like to go for a few beer and appys.  Lately with the nice weather, we've been looking for a nice patio, and Characters happens to be on our way home.

Last night we had a new waiter, an Australian, that wasn't very good but he was trying hard and had only been there for four days.  Because of his effort, we were going to give him a tip anyway.  When we finally got our bills sorted out, they had put extra info on each as follows:

15% tip is 3.99

18% tip is 4.79

20% tip is 5.32

22% tip is 5.85

I found that to be pushing things a bit, while some others thought it was sort of helpful.  However, at that point, someone said that the waiters there are not allowed to keep their tips.  I asked our waiter and he told us that he actually got a salary of about $10.50 an hour, not any of the tips.

So all that helpful information about how much to reward our server was not for HIS benefit, it was for the two owners who hovered like vultures, watching us very closely to make sure we didn't slip him cash (which we tried).  They watched even more closely after I went and paid with interac and did NOT hit the tip buttons.  

I actually got dirty looks, as did my colleagues, from both owners.

I felt like we were forced to cheat him out of what he'd worked hard to earn and I resent the owners for putting us in that position.  I was not interested in lining their pockets, I was interested in tipping a hot Australian who worked his ass off to make sure we had everything we asked for within minutes of asking.    

Sportsdude

Huh? You couldn't give tips?

I've got a better nightmare story for yeah, three friends and I went to this local place. One ordered a chocolate shake, one chicken wings one sprite and one nacho. Guess what the price ended up to be? 40 bucks! We were dumbfounded on how a 6 dollar nacho, 5 dollar chicken wing, 1.50 Sprite, and a 3 dollar shake end up to be 40 dollars!

And it clearly said on the bill

Kriegers bar and Grill (oops I gave the name oh well, pos place anyway)

blah blah blah, Mo

6.00 Nacho

5.00 Chicken Wing

3.00 Chocolate Shake

1.50 Sprite

Total:

$40.00

We paid it but didn't leave a tip and never went back to the place again. It closed a couple of months ago. Karma.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

Interesting Some chick.  Those owners would have heard a mouthful from me.  Oh they've got the f*cking nerve!  

In England, nobody tips there.  We've been abusing the system by trying to make tipping mandatory.  I normally tip really well if the waiter/waitress went out of his/her way but if I received terrible service with NO sympathy, then I don't leave a tip.  I just eat and head out.

kingy

there are some places that automatically add the 'gratuity' right on to the bill, usually at 15%, regardless of the service.

Gopher

When a tip comes to an awkward amount, like $5.32, pay with it  separately from the rest of the meal with a $100 dollar bill and insist on having ALL the change - OR, pay it separately from the rest of the bill and in cents.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

What's the opposite of "left"?:
Complete the sentence: "Between a rock and a...":
Type the word delicious twice:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview