Stupid File: Fixed-gear bikes illegal in Portland

Started by TehBorken, Aug 01 06 10:05

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

[h3]Fixed-gear bikes illegal in Portland         [/h3] An Oregon judge has ruled that fixed-gear bicycles -- which use the rider's leg-power to brake them -- are illegal, and must be outfitted with traditional lever/caliper brakes. The cyclist who was ticketed for the offense fought it in traffic court, and was represented by a pretty sharp attorney, judging from the partial transcript here.

It seems obvious that "fixies" should be lawful, since they can satisfy the statutory requirement that bikes be "equipped with a brake that enables the operator to make the braked wheels skid on dry, level, clean pavement. strong enough to skid tire." Nevertheless, the judge ruled against the cyclist:
 [blockquote] Now it was time for Officer Barnum to ask questions. He asked Holland,      "What would you do if your chain broke?" [/p] Holland: [/p]     "I would use my feet." [/p] Officer Barnum: [/p]     "What if your leg muscles had a spasm?" [/p] Holland: [/p]     "I'm not sure...these are emergency situations." [/p] Ginsberg interjected with a question for Holland: [/p]     "Did any of these situations happen on the day you were stopped?" [/p] Holland: [/p]     "No." [/p][/blockquote]  [a href="http://bikeportland.org/2006/07/28/judge-finds-fault-with-fixies/"]Link[/a]    
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Future Canadian

I missed that. They'll be busy writing tickets, I see those bikes everywhere.
Those things do trip me out, I wonder how on earth they can stop quickly. But I reckon they wouldn't get on them if they weren't able to operate them correctly.
There seems to be a subtle statement trying to be made by riders of fixed gear that they are king/queen biker. If one was capable of strutting on a bike it would be them.

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

Sportsdude

Are you talking about bmx type bikes. I remember having one of those as a kid. Pain in the butt to go up hills.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."