THAT did it !!!!

Started by P.C., Jul 29 06 09:17

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

I'm a charitable person, and do my best to donate wherever, whenever and whatever I can.

However, I am sick to death of getting frisked at every check-out.  I've tried explaining to the stores involved, that asking me to give money IS NOT DONATING.  It's closer to begging.  I did a little shopping yesterday, and made my way through the check-outs 5 times. (twice in one store and 3 others).  

"Would you like to 'donate' a dollar to .......(charity of their choice)".  First store...."Certainly" I said.

Second store...."Sure, OK".  Back to first store (within an hour....same check-out, same clerk)...."Are you kidding me?  Whatever !"  Fourth store...."Ummmm.......Well, I'm getting a litttle tired of this, but OK".   Fifth store...." NO !!!!"  Needless to say, clerk 5 has no idea I'm a nice person.

Is anybody else getting annoyed with this form of 'donating', or is it possible I'm not as nice as I think I am ? [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/traurig/a010.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

TehBorken

P.C. wrote:
Is anybody else getting annoyed with this form of 'donating', or is it possible I'm not as nice as I think I am ?

I hate that too. I usually tell them that "I never donate to causes that might fund terrorism". The looks I get are priceless.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

P.C.

LOL, TehBorken.  I'd have to say I've not tried this approach.  Maybe I'll give it a shot.  rofl

Gopher

This sort of approach always strikes me that I am being subjected to moral and/or emotional blackmail. I  respond accordingly - give nothing at all (even if I would have done under other circumstances).  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

That's exactly what it is Gopher.  Emotional blackmail.  Who wants to look uncharitable to all those people they don't even know in the line-up behind them...lol.  

There is a liquor store in my neighbourhood, that has a jars on the counter, with a notes taped to them.  One saying 'Working to put myself thru (yeah, that's right....thru) school.'  This is a little different, but twice as annoying.  Is it legal to beg while on the job?????

kitten

I never donate at the grocery or any store.  I tell them I have my own list of charities and they're not on it.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

I doubt it, P.C.

Another things which particularly annoys me is the reaction one gets when one sends in donations to 'ordinary charities'.

I recall sending a cheque to UNICEF for the Tsunami Relief Fund, and that ever after I was solicited for money from one related charity after another (including more solicitations from UNICEF itself). Having decided that the amount of money they spent on sending emotionally/morally  blackmailing letters to me was more or less equal to the amount I'd donated in the first place, I decided that they''d never hear from me again. Pity, as I would have liked to have helped further.    

kitten

I gave anonymously to the tsunami relief effort because I knew there would be endless begging letters from everybody and their uncle if I identified myself.  I do donate yearly to the S.P.C.A. because of my love for animals.

Gopher

I didn't donate anonymously as I found a way of their reclaiming money out of the tax I paid if I gave my full details.

P.C.

HI KITTEN !!!!!!!

I have my 'soft spots' for specific charities. But I believe I should have the right to choose them myself.  

People set up outside the grocery stores....shell out before you shop, then shell out before you get out.  It's all just becoming too much.  

Gopher

Carry some sea shells with you (they used to be a form of currency), that way when they want you to shell you can do so without further qualm.

kitten

Hi, my friends!  I thought you had to give a certain amount before you could claim it on taxes.  

Gopher

Well, I DID give a certain amount - however, it was only very small - I just managed to be 'clever' about it.

kitten

You couldn't be anything but clever.

Gopher

You know but one trillionth of me!