So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

kitten

I'll stick with the boredom, thank you very much.  I don't care for extreme weather.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Van

Yes, we should appreciate boring weather while we still have it. I love the snow, in the mountains!
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

kitten

That's where I prefer it too.  As long as it remains up there I'm quite content.

Sportsdude

haha.
makes life interesting though, I must say. Then again I never listened to warning calls. Always drove around during the storm. Although, if you've never had your house sway back and forth from winds before, the first time is a bit of a frightening experience.

I don't mess with Hurricanes though, been in way too many of those in Florida to know when to flee.

Although once people know I'm from a place that gets tornadoes, a couple people I know tell me they'd like to be in one.  crazy.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Van

I never been in extreme weather (besides snow incidents).  I seen some serious hail in Medicine Hat Alberta when I was there for a summer wedding, but I was told it was nothing compared to what they actually get??!
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

kitten

Every time they show the aftermath of a hurricane or tornado, I just feel sorry for all the people who have been hurt or killed, or lost all their belongings.  You couldn't pay me to live there!  

Van

Well, I am off to fuel up the tacoma. Have a fantastic evening. I plan on sleeping as much as I can tonight.  

kitten

Good for you, Van.  Have fun.

Sportsdude

Tornadoes are cruel. When they blow your house away and you lose everything, yet the house next door isn't touched. Its horrible.  

kitten

I find it amazing that people choose to stay there and rebuild after such a disaster.  I would be looking for a new home far away.

Sportsdude

a lot of the places are rural. They're tied to their land. My cousin just bought a house on the hill side and my other cousin is building a house on top of the bluff. lol

yikes looked at the flood stage for the local town where the farm is. flood stage is at 30. The river will crest at 40.4. 50 is the bubble bursting stage. Anything above that and its a disaster, nothing will hold it. etc.

So there's probably going to be flooding on the road to the farm. That'll all be underwater. and remember the river picture? lol the river was high then:

[img style="width: 392px; height: 294px;" src="http://i26.tinypic.com/n2byux.jpg"]

I'd be 15ft under water if I tried to take that pic now, apparently.

kitten

Sportsdude wrote:
a lot of the places are rural. They're tied to their land.
   If the land is under the water it isn't much use to them.  And if their home and farm equipment have been ruined by the floods they would not have much use for it.  

In Egypt the lowlands used to flood every year, but it enriched the soil for replanting.  Is that what they do there?

Sportsdude

everything is dammed up now. the corps went through in the 50's and straightend out the rivers. To stop the floodings etc. So natural floods don't happen anymore. They don't in Eygpt either. they did the same thing.

everything is insured. So everything gets washed away, and then everyone rebuilds. The only problem the farm has is that in the late 70's the feds called the area a flood plain. So if you're house burns down, you've got to rebuild on stilts.

Tornado back in '98 got within 100 yards of the farm. If the farm gets a direct hit you're looking at 5-7 million in damages, not counting the land.

The big farms (like my family's) survive, the one down the street will fall under. A bunch of my cousins friends joined the national guard, needed the money. unemployment is around 20% in the hills.

Anyway those are the people that are affected the most. Probably the only thing my family would miss is their sports cars and boats...

kitten

I thought the boats would ride through the flooding if you put a long enough rope to tie them.  The sports cars would be transportation to get out of there before the water reached them.  It sounds like it could be doable.  But the families down the road would have a tough time of it.  

I know the Nile has been changed now to prevent future flooding.  I was referring to ancient times.

Sportsdude

yeah the families down the road are all going under even in the ethanol boom age. Corn and Wheat bushels have never been higher.

Yeah well "acient times" was still the case until post world war II. lol Grandpa learned how to swim on the Mississippi. Obviously you can't do that now. lol It's all come back to bite them though. Katrina would have been weakened a lot if the corps hadn't trenched everything in the delta. Marshlands disappeared, the natural barrier of New Orleans against hurricanes. lol Saddam did the same thing in the "fertile crescent" dammed up the tigris and euphraites and the craddle of civilization went dry and dead. god we're cruel to the earth.

|