1 in 136 U.S. Residents Behind Bars

Started by Sportsdude, May 21 06 04:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

1 in 136 U.S. Residents Behind Bars  [DIV id=ynmain] [DIV id=storybody] [DIV class=spacer]

Prisons and jails added more than 1,000 inmates each week for a year, putting almost 2.2 million people, or one in every 136 U.S. residents, behind bars by last summer.

The total on June 30, 2005, was 56,428 more than at the same time in 2004, the government reported Sunday. That 2.6 percent increase from mid-2004 to mid-2005 translates into a weekly rise of 1,085 inmates.

Of particular note was the gain of 33,539 inmates in jails, the largest increase since 1997, researcher Allen J. Beck said. That was a 4.7 percent growth rate, compared with a 1.6 percent increase in people held in state and federal prisons.

Prisons accounted for about two-thirds of all inmates, or 1.4 million, while the other third, nearly 750,000, were in local jails, according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

Beck, the bureau's chief of corrections statistics, said the increase in the number of people in the 3,365 local jails is due partly to their changing role. Jails often hold inmates for state or federal systems, as well as people who have yet to begin serving a sentence.

"The jail population is increasingly unconvicted," Beck said. "Judges are perhaps more reluctant to release people pretrial."

The report by the Justice Department agency found that 62 percent of people in jails have not been convicted, meaning many of them are awaiting trial.

Overall, 738 people were locked up for every 100,000 residents, compared with a rate of 725 at mid-2004. The states with the highest rates were Louisiana and Georgia, with more than 1 percent of their populations in prison or jail. Rounding out the top five were Texas, Mississippi and Oklahoma.

The states with the lowest rates were Maine, Minnesota, Rhode Island, Vermont and New Hampshire.

Men were 10 times to 11 times more likely than women to be in prison or jail, but the number of women behind bars was growing at a faster rate, said Paige M. Harrison, the report's other author.

The racial makeup of inmates changed little in recent years, Beck said. In the 25-29 age group, an estimated 11.9 percent of black men were in prison or jails, compared with 3.9 percent of Hispanic males and 1.7 percent of white males.

Marc Mauer, executive director of The Sentencing Project, which supports alternatives to prison, said the incarceration rates for blacks were troubling.

"It's not a sign of a healthy community when we've come to use incarceration at such rates," he said.

Mauer also criticized sentencing guidelines, which he said remove judges' discretion, and said arrests for drug and parole violations swell prisons.

"If we want to see the prison population reduced, we need a much more comprehensive approach to sentencing and drug policy," he said.

[/DIV][/DIV]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

Proves once again DO NOT COPY AMERICA when it comes to Criminal Reform and Prison Reform.  We have almost as many people in jail as Canada has people.

"The racial makeup of inmates changed little in recent years, Beck said. In the 25-29 age group, an estimated 11.9 percent of black men were in prison or jails, compared with 3.9 percent of Hispanic males and 1.7 percent of white males."

Wow, totally not shocked.

Lise

Crickey. Did not know that. Is the crime rate in the US also higher?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

Lise wrote:
 Crickey. Did not know that. Is the crime rate in the US also higher?[/DIV]
 Lets see remember the Toronto shootings and how it was a crime wave with 78 or something murders. Well if they ever got that low in St. Louis they would start naming roads after the mayor and police chief.  And St. Louis is medium size town.

Chicago had like 400 murders last year.

Crime is high.  Guns are easy to find. Also a lot of people get jailed for 10 years just for a simple marijuana search.

St. Louis fixed there rapes last year so it didn't seem bad.  Instead of 500+ that was reported it was really like 1,200 rapes.

Car thefts are really bad. Gang leaders realize that when kids turn 18 the records are erased so they teach kids how to steal cars as early as 8 years old. A 10 year old stole a car in North St. Louis a couple of years ago went on a chase ran over a couple of people and died. Causing the city to start a no chase policy.

And St. Louis recently was in the news for the rape of 6 year old girl by 8 of her class mates who ranged in age from 6 to 10. YES A SIX YEAR OLD!!  

Lise

My goodness. Reading all these crimes make me depressed. I don't understand why a country that's rich in resource and is consider the world leader can have crime rates that would shock most countries.....? Are all the youths so violent there?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

Tehborken will get mad at me but it starts with the second Admendment truthfully.  For example you can by machine guns at a gun show and not have to go through a security check.  We have no checks on guns or even bullets.  NRA stopped legislation passing that would ban bullet proof vest piercing bullets.  Watch the movie City of God.  Where headed in that direction in the cities.

Lise

Tehborken will get mad at me but it starts with the second Admendment truthfully.

Forgive me but what is the second admendment?

For example you can by machine guns at a gun show and not have to go through a security check.  We have no checks on guns or even bullets.  NRA stopped legislation passing that would ban bullet proof vest piercing bullets.  Watch the movie City of God.  Where headed in that direction in the cities.

That's insane. No checking??!?!?  What are police officers left with then? Pepper spray? To be honest, except for Hawaii, I have never felt completely safe in the US (as a tourist) as say, when I'm here in BC. There was a kind of tension in the air (can't explain it) when I visited Florida. [/DIV]
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

According to a Crime watch organization Chicago has had

160 first degree homicides already

5 involuntary manslaughters

4 Justifiable Homicides

2 Reckless Homicides

1 Second Degree Homicide

1,083 Aggravated Assualts with a Handgun

638 Aggravated Assualts with (hands, feet, etc.)

- with 514 of those coming at a school of some kind

30 Sexual Assualts without a weapon (Predatory)

36 Sexual Assualts with a hand gun

29 Sexual Assualts with a knife or cutting instrument

Could go on the lists are long the website is [A href="http://www.chicagocrime.org/"]http://www.chicagocrime.org/[/A]  

Sportsdude

Florida is the worst. They have this Stand your ground law where if you are armed and you fell threatened you can shoot to kill the person without being charged. I hate florida. Its the land of the haves and have nots. You go down one street and its all glitzy and people are driving bmw's and what not and the next street over people are living in poverty.

Sportsdude

[H4 class=nav][A name=amendmentii]Amendment II[/A][/H4]  A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Lise

Whoa. That's a long list there, SD.

The segregation is so prominent in Florida. I have never seen that before. And yes, it has to do with the rich and the poor. I have never seen so many gated communities. Such a concept is alien to me.

A well run militia??? My goodness. Who writes these things??
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

Yeah yeah want to see poor here's St. Louis' North Side

[A href="http://www.builtstlouis.net/"]http://www.builtstlouis.net/[/A]

That website make me feel proud! (Sarcasm)

Lise

Interesting link there. Anyways, thanks for the chitchat, SD. Certainly an eye-opener.

Gotta run. Take care and ttyl.
Bill Cosby.

TehBorken

Sportsdude wrote:
For example you can by machine guns at a gun show and not have to go through a security check.  

This is absolutely false, SD, and I don't where in the world you heard this. That is simply 100% wrong, no two ways about it. Machine guns require a Class 3 permit just to possess, and they require a Federal Firearms License to transfer or sell. You *cannot* go to a gun show and by a machine gun with no license or background check, not legally. Period, no exceptions.

We have no checks on guns or even bullets.

Again, this is false. You cannot buy a handgun without a waiting period and background check. I know, I've bought more than one. Rifles do not require a background check, but then neither do knives, axes, chainsaws, hammers, or cars.

NRA stopped legislation passing that would ban bullet proof vest piercing bullets.  

This is a simplistic, not-even-true version of what happened. I won't waste my breath trying to dispute it because your mind is pretty clearly made up, and nothing I say will make any difference....you won't be persuaded by mere proof.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

TehBorken

Lise wrote:  [div style="font-style: italic;"]A well run militia??? My goodness. Who writes these things??[/div]
No one important. Just a bunch of terrorist kooks like [a href="http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/gw1.html"]George Washington[/a], [a href="http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/tj3.html"]Thomas Jefferson[/a], [a href="http://fi.edu/franklin/"]Ben Franklin[/a], [a href="http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/jm4.html"]James Madison[/a], etc. Thank heavens no one ever took any of their nutty ideas  seriously, or who knows where we'd be today.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.