Typical Canadian Food

Started by Lise, Mar 02 09 05:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Right, when I ask what is the typical Canadian food, what comes to your mind? Other than ye olde maple syrup, I can't think of anything else.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Michel

P.C.

This is how wiki puts it..... Canadian cusine varies widely from region to region........ home-made, warming, and wholesome remain key adjectives in what Canadians consider their cuisine.

I also think first of salmon.....as well as lobster and pickerel....clams, oysters and crab.

And I would include wild game.

Canadian bacon.

Montreal bagels.

Nanaimo bars and beaver tails.      
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

sushi, bento boxes, dim sum, chinese, greek, curry, and bubble tea.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Michel

Sportsdude

a British Columbian.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Michel

P.C.

What do you call a Columian living in Britain.

*and don't forget Montreal smoked beef !!!!

Orik

let us not forget seal flipper pie
[h3 style="font-style: italic;" class="r"][a href="http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/106621" class="l" onmousedown="return clk(this.href,'','','res','6','')"]Seal [em]Flipper Pie[/em][/a][/h3]
[p class="style2"][a href="http://www.freeinfosociety.com/ae/recipeview.php?id=28"]Seal Flipper Pie Recipe[/a][/p]                        [/p][p align="left"] Written by Ryan Woodford (CyberSpike)

Ingredients:
  # 4 seal flippers
  # 1 L water
  # 500 ml soda
  # 125 ml fat pork, diced
  # 1 cup milk
  # 2 onoins, chopped
  # 5 ml salt
  # 60 ml flour
  # 250 ml cold water
  # 5 ml Worcestershire sauce

Directions:
    Soak flippers in 1 L of water and soda. Trim off excess fat.  

Dry flippers and dip in seasoned flour.  

Brown in pork fat. Add onions and make a gravy of flour, water, and sauce. Pour over flippers.  

Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 2-3 hours.  

Make a pastry and cover the flippers. Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes. [/p]

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Michel

Lise

Hmmm.... interesting. I'm just trying to explain Canadian food to my little ones and haven't done a good job of it.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

Bannock/ Frybread.
 Meats: seafood on the East and West Coasts, wild game on the Prairies, trout in lakes, pike and char in Northern lakes.

[span style="text-decoration: underline;"]Regional foods based on early immigration patterns:[/span]
 British food in Upper Canada/NF/Nova Scotia/PEI, French in Quebec and Acadia, German and Ukranian on the Prairies, British food in B.C.
 These early settlers have a heavy influence on regional cuisine today.  Example: it is common to eat perogies, cabbage rolls and farmer sausage today in Winnipeg, even if you are not Ukranian.

[span style="text-decoration: underline;"]Add the next waves of immigration:[/span]
 from Asia, Central/South America,  Africa,  Caribbean islands, Middle East....

and there you have it.  Canadian cuisine.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

JJ

smoked salmon, butter tarts & Nanaimo bars

Violet

I love Canadian food.

Basically, there is nothing that couldn't fit under that category. haha.    
You're my boy Blue!!!

P.C.

That's true Violet.  There are so many cultural influences in each segment of the coutry.

The cuisine of the western provinces is heavily influenced by British and Scandinavian  cuisine....seafoods and wild foods....berries, fiddlehead ferns etc.  

Then the prairies would have Dutch, Bavarian, Ukranian maybe ?  I think of baked things from this area because of the abundance of wheat.  Also maybe preserves...pickles, jams.(?)

The cuisines of Newfoundland and the Maritimes, come from British and Irish cooking.  Cured meats and fish.

We got it all covered.