The "I have nothing Interesting to Say" Thread

Started by Lise, Feb 06 07 02:40

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Natasha

Having a procedure done tomorrow and am terrified!  Am considering taking a valium beforehand...to help ease my nerves but I've never taken them before so I'm not sure how it will affect me. Do I go in trying to keep myself under control or do I go in under the influence? One way I'll be aware of my surroundings 100% but might totally freak out and leave (without having the procedure done). The other way, I'm not 100% aware but I can make it through the procedure. *sigh* decisions decisions.... why can't I just temporarily grow a set of balls and be done with it   :(

Oh well... wish me luck.

DDD

Natasha wrote:
 Having a procedure done tomorrow and am terrified!  Am considering taking a valium beforehand...to help ease my nerves but I've never taken them before so I'm not sure how it will affect me. Do I go in trying to keep myself under control or do I go in under the influence? One way I'll be aware of my surroundings 100% but might totally freak out and leave (without having the procedure done). The other way, I'm not 100% aware but I can make it through the procedure. *sigh* decisions decisions.... why can't I just temporarily grow a set of balls and be done with it   :(

Oh well... wish me luck.[/DIV]
 Good Luck

as for the rest the Doc should be the one giving out the drugs not you just so he knows what you have taken.....IMO
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

Orik

Prayers, well wishes and good thoughts are with you you from this side.. Be at peace Natasha I am sure all will go well without a a single problem, things may take a little longer than normal Since most Doctors offices, Hospitals and Dentists seem to do things at there own time which usually leave's us nervous folks pacing back and forth chewing our fingernails down to the quick...

I do not know about you Natasha but if you have a friend to drive you to your procedure and to pick you up  afterwards you may want to take the Valium Like I did, I opt to take the Valium before hand...

It depends on the Valium Type taken for how much it will sedate you and how much of a calming effect it will have. If I were you I would call the Doctor or Dentist and ask them about taking some form of Valium before the procedure if you are that nervous.  

I tend to like Ativan which seems to be the best for me i find that it takes the edge off but it leaves me fully functional just more relaxed and a bit slower on the reflexes. I take a 2 milligram dosage of Ativan before having my teeth worked on,  it looks like a small dosage but  it is plenty powerful  because it works fine for me.

Others may need to take a smaller or larger dosage depending on there fear levels and how much sedation is needed to settle that persons nerves. Since I am very claustrophobic about being confined and those dentist chairs makes me feel very confined.

I take some Ativan before hand since it relaxes me enough, that I am not going to remove the dentists fingers by accident. So far in the past 10 years of taking the Valium prior to my dental work being done, has worked just fine, the dentist kept all there fingers & I never freaked out at the dentists office.

[span style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(192, 0, 0);"]Warning![/span]
Before taking any sort of medication discuss it before hand with your Dentist or Physician that way you and your Dentist or Physician are fully aware of any potential side effects.

[span style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(192, 0, 0);"]Warning![/span]
Taking Medication without your dentists or physician approval before hand could have serious interactions to other medications which could be life threatening. Mixing medications can have adverse side effects & risks..
Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Natasha

DDD wrote:
Natasha wrote:

Oh well... wish me luck.[/DIV]
 Good Luck

as for the rest the Doc should be the one giving out the drugs not you just so he knows what you have taken.....IMO[/DIV]
 My regular phyisican DID give me the drugs. It's not like I just walked outside and bought the pills illegally. My reg Dr couldn't give me a more normal type of drug like Paxil to ease my nerves because medications like that can take up to 4wks to fully kick in. I just need something for the day of the procedure so I was prescribed the lowest dose of Valium possible. Again, by my regular Dr whom I've been seeing for years. I'm totally odd about taking medication of any sort... even over the counter drugs like Tylenol. I'm worse about taking NEW medications in general. If I can avoid them, I will. The procedure isn't something I can slim my way out of..not if I wanna avoid getting cancer. I just hope and pray I can stay strong enough nerve wise to follow through with it....preferably without the Valium.  I think I'm not going to take them, just take them with me....just in case.

Natasha

Orik wrote:
  Prayers, well wishes and good thoughts are with you you from this side.. Be at peace Natasha I am sure all will go well without a a single problem, things may take a little longer than normal Since most Doctors offices, Hospitals and Dentists seem to do things at there own time which usually leave's us nervous folks pacing back and forth chewing our fingernails down to the quick...

Thank you, Orik. Yeah, my fingernails are almost gone and it's not even the day of the procedure yet. I haven't bitten my fingernails in over 10yrs. After tomorrow I can let them grow back again  :)

I do not know about you Natasha but if you have a friend to drive you to your procedure and to pick you up  afterwards you may want to take the Valium Like I did, I opt to take the Valium before hand...

I do have a friend going with me.... Valium or not. I'm too scared to go alone. They are even going to be in the room with me holding my hand.

It depends on the Valium Type taken for how much it will sedate you and how much of a calming effect it will have. If I were you I would call the Doctor or Dentist and ask them about taking some form of Valium before the procedure if you are that nervous.  

It's only a .5mg Valium. So it's not too bad. My Dr told me it would make me loopy and loose. She said I should take as soon as I get to the clinic this way by the time I get called back, the medicine would have kicked in. She also said I should be certain to tell my other Dr I have taken it. But as I told D, I'm soooo worrysome when it comes to taking new meds. I hate the idea of trying something new while having something important done to me.

I tend to like Ativan which seems to be the best for me i find that it takes the edge off but it leaves me fully functional just more relaxed and a bit slower on the reflexes. I take a 2 milligram dosage of Ativan before having my teeth worked on,  it looks like a small dosage but  it is plenty powerful  because it works fine for me.

I've never taken Ativan either. When I have dental work done I usually don't take anything beforehand. I get the normal numbing medication and my dentist will give me Loratabs afterwards...which I never take. That would be a new medication for me so I try to deal with the pain on my own. Most of the time, I just pass out from sheer tiredness after being in all the pain. Once I wake up, I'm fine.

Others may need to take a smaller or larger dosage depending on there fear levels and how much sedation is needed to settle that persons nerves. Since I am very claustrophobic about being confined and those dentist chairs makes me feel very confined.

I totally know how you feel. I hate being in closed room. A Drs office room is even worse! Some times I open up the door, I'll stand in the doorway or go the restroom just so I walk and be somewhere other than that small room. I downloaded games on my cell phone too. That helps occupy my mind. I'll send texts, anything to do keep me from noticing how small the room is...the people talking outside...everyone ELSE comming and going. Whenn I went for my first procedure I was back there almost 1.5hrs. And what really sucks is that particular Dr doesn't allow cell phones to be on *sigh* that only makes it harder for me to keep myself calm. Meditation and deep breathing helps alot but honestly after being closed off from everyone in a small room for 1.5hrs...I just wanna get out of there! Plus my procedure isn't a normal thing like dental can be soooo I'm scared of what could happen.. especially afterwards, you know, uncontrolled bleeding, infection..that type of thing.

I take some Ativan before hand since it relaxes me enough, that I am not going to remove the dentists fingers by accident.

lol    I think some denists deserve it.

So far in the past 10 years of taking the Valium prior to my dental work being done, has worked just fine, the dentist kept all there fingers & I never freaked out at the dentists office.

[FONT size=5][SPAN style="COLOR: rgb(192,0,0); FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]Warning![/SPAN][/FONT]
Before taking any sort of medication discuss it before hand with your Dentist or Physician that way you and your Dentist or Physician are fully aware of any potential side effects.

[FONT size=5][SPAN style="COLOR: rgb(192,0,0); FONT-WEIGHT: bold"]Warning![/SPAN][/FONT]
Taking Medication without your dentists or physician approval before hand could have serious interactions to other medications which could be life threatening. Mixing medications can have adverse side effects & risks..

^that worries me too...lol  I guess I'll decide tomorrow what route to take. Either way I pray the out come will be a blessing.

Thanks Orik    :)

Gopher

I've found that Ativan works far faster than Valium.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

purelife

I wish you a smooth recovery, Natasha.  It's never easy entering the surgery room knowing what you're up for.  I hope you can stay calm before they knock you right out.....I know...easier said than done. *hugz*

Gopher

I wonder why almost everything (apart from making mistakes) is easier said than done?

DDD

I hate all pills and avoid them ............

Hope it went well Tasha

Gopher

I've seen eleven squirrels this morning.  

DDD

Gopher wrote:
 I've seen eleven squirrels this morning.

What no gophers

Gopher

DDD

I am going to be single again me thinks

Natasha

Thanks everyone  :)

So here's what happened. As I was getting ready to go to my appt my daughters school called. I had to go pick her up cause she came down with the stomach virus. Had to reschedule my appt so I could stay home and take care of my babygirl. I'm relieved I had a good excuse to reschedule but I hate it was done at my daughters expense. Next scheduled date... June 21 *sigh* may the days go by slowly.

purelife wrote:

I wish you a smooth recovery, Natasha.  It's never easy entering the surgery room knowing what you're up for.  I hope you can stay calm before they knock you right out.....I know...easier said than done. *hugz* I wont be knocked out. The Dr told me the procedure will be similar to the biopsy as far as numbing and pain. Which means they will give me some numbing agent but I'll still be in pain. The level of pain will be simiar to the pain I endured during my biopsy. On a scale of 1-10 the level of pain was a 7 sometimes an 8. The suffering lasted about 10 minutes with the biposy. The next procedure it will last about 20 minutes. I'm sooo NOT looking forward to it  :(  all I can do is know my options, rely on everyones prayers and well wishes, and keep positive thoughts afterall it's better to deal with this now than fight cancer later.... that's what I keep telling myself anyway.

Natasha

DDD wrote:
 I hate all pills and avoid them ............

It's really best to do so (if that's possible). IMO pills fix one thing but screw up something else.

|