Current Reading

Started by Gopher, Apr 16 06 11:15

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

When a friend lends you a book that they really really liked....totally psyched about it.......and you hated it......what do you say when they ask you if you loved it ?????

Are you polite ?  and tell them it was great ?  Or do you tell the truth ?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Orik

i have always been one to admit my feelings about that.. not all persons have the same taste... but it can lead to arguments sometimes, so it has to depend on how adamant the friend is on the author and book in question...

but it would give you something to talk about why you hated it and why they loved it and other points of the novel...

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Gopher

Just mumble incomprehensibly.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

Hi Gophie !!!!!!!

I feel bad when I don't like a book that a friend was excited to lend me.  Last book in question was Life of Pi.  It was easier to voice my opinion  when she said..."Do you want me to explain it to you ?" .  

Gopher

That sounds rather patronising.  

P.C.

It FELT rather patronizing.  I'm sure she didn't mean to be insulting....I think/hope she might have been trying to say....Can I tell you what I got from that book ?  

Gopher

Superiority?  

P.C.

I don't think so Gophie.  I really think she just worded it badly.  She was totally tickled by the book, and I wasn't.  I GOT it....I just didn't care for it.  The beginning was tedious, the middle was fantastic...loved it....the ending was weird and a big letdown.

Besides....I've always maintained, that if someone has to explain a book to me, the writer did a poor job telling their story.

Gopher

That's true. I'm struggling through my present book at the moment, even tho' the last one I read was all about its writing!  

P.C.

I remember one of the books recommended on Oprah's bookclub.  In the beginning I read them all.  Then, there was one....I don't even remember the name of it....where they kept saying, if you lose interest, or get confused, or you're not getting it, START OVER.  And KEEP doing that until you get it.  THEN, they dedicated a whole hour to explaining the damn book to all of us mental midgets who weren't enjoying it.  Now I'm sorry....best seller or not....you did your job poorly.  If I need to read a guide, on how to understand what you wrote....I don't want to read it.  Just entertain me.

Orik

lol hear hear....

hear hear...

goes back to rereading the sword of truth series

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Gopher

The Tenth Man - Graham Greene  

Michel

Gopher

I read the book and throughly enjoyed it, however I've not yet seen the film.  

Michel

|