Get it done NOW

Started by P.C., Nov 16 08 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

purelife wrote:
Did anyone have to cut down their 'xmas gift shopping and crossed off names or spent less than usual?
I havent started a list, started shopping, or acknowledged the approach or xmas yet.
So.. sorry but I dont know yet.
I do know that Im probably going to miss it.. so its up to the starfishie. But the list would probably have gotten bigger if I was at home.

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

Nobody is getting crossed off my list.  But I will be doing a little more in the hand made things.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

P.C.

Hey purelife.....you can get some nice wools and yarns at the thrift stores.....and knit some nice scarves.  A nice gift that works for both guys and girls, young and old.  You can knit during your commute !

Lil Me

purelife wrote:
Did anyone have to cut down their 'xmas gift shopping and crossed off names or spent less than usual?
 --
 Yup.  Totally.
 Fortunately, my parents, sister, in-laws have all stopped exchanging gifts as of a few years ago.  So no expensive adult gifts to buy.  Heckyl and Jeckyl each get a gift from Santa, and my cousins' kids each get a gift card.

Xmas is usually an expensive time for us due to going out a lot.  But we're going to scale that back this year....eat meals at home, invite people over to visit instead of going out, doing Xmas activities that are free or cheap.

Will still be skiing, since I already bought the Mt Seymour season passes back in Sept.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Russ

P.C. wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]Nobody is getting crossed off my list.  But I will be doing a little more in the hand made things. [/div]
This is true.. I bought a crate of xmas mugs from the dollar store, and been thinking about package of cocoa, spiced apple cider, and some other goobers for each.. then throw some funny coloured cellophane paper and walla! Dont forget your candy canes.

EDIT: Drat some of you are too fast

Lil Me

Hey purelife- can you show me how to knit sometime?  I know how to do the basic rows, but not purl or the flat stitch.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lil Me

Russ- don't forget the "cake in a mug" microwave recipe that P.C. posted!

I'm actually going to send that cake mug thing to a friend in Edmonton.  It was going to be for her bday, but now she and hubby are celebrating something different, so it will be for that.  I got $1 store mugs yesterday too!  Will pack this up and send it this week.

purelife

Lil Me

The craft fairs always have some knitted cloths for sale (about a 10cm square) for dish cloths, face cloths.  I think I can manage making that with the basic "knit" rows.

Put a cloth in a $1 store mug, wrap with cello and voila!

Lil Me

Purelife- you could also wrap up your famous cran walnut bread in cello.  People would love that!  

purelife

I like the wrapping up baked goods idea.  I was going to bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies and just take them to the family get together for everyone....but wrapping them up would be a great idea.

I'll also make some 'xmas cards too...    

Lil Me

I also saw some nice cardboard gift boxes and metal tins at the $1 store.

P.C.

There are TONS of ideas out there along those lines.  Check out the library for any books on Gifts from the Kitchen.  I have a couple that I love.  Not only are there some great gift ideas...but totally fun packing tips to make them real gifts.

[A href="http://www.recipelink.com/holiday/merrygifts.html"]http://www.recipelink.com/holiday/merrygifts.html[/A]

This site has the names of several of those types of books, so you can get an idea of what to look for at the library.

Sometimes giving the mix is a good idea too.  Package up in a canning jar...write out the directions on a card and attach with some ribbon. Then they can be made after the house is clear of an over abundance of Christmas goodies.  Then kids can get involved too.

[A href="http://busycooks.about.com/od/christmas/a/giftsfromkitche.htm"]http://busycooks.about.com/od/christmas/a/giftsfromkitche.htm[/A]  

purelife

ADD:  To be honest, my mind and heart hasn't been on 'xmas this year.    I didn't even make up a list this year and write down what to get or make or do for that person.  And I would plan this months in advance.  *sigh*    

Russ

purelife wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]ADD:  To be honest, my mind and heart hasn't been on 'xmas this year.    I didn't even make up a list this year and write down what to get or make or do for that person.  And I would plan this months in advance.  *sigh*[/div]

Dont worry about it. My whole theory on this is flowers for girls and booze for guys.. simple!

|