Federal cash could put CFL team in Quebec City

Started by Sportsdude, Sep 03 08 01:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

Woah talk about an election gift.....

Hmm I'd go for the new hockey arena so the Nordiques come back before a CFL team. Anyway good for the CFL.

The federal government will announce today a multimillion dollar infrastructure program for Quebec that could pave the way for a Canadian Football league franchise in Quebec City.[/p]  The federal funding includes the expansion and renovation of Quebec City's Laval University sports centre where local investors are offering to expand the football stadium in their bid for a CFL franchise.[/p][a href="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080903.wcflfeds0903/BNStory/Front"]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080903.wcflfeds0903/BNStory/Front[/a]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Van

ok...why are we using tax dollars to support a league nobody takes seriously?

How many people do you know even talk about CFL, nevermind follow it?    
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

I watch maybe in total 3 games a year. (but not in sit down watch the entire game, more like catch a quarter here, catch a quarter there sort of thing).

If I want to watch football following Mizzou takes up most of my alloted football time, but I really shouldn't watch that either, I'll just 'what if' myself constantly.

I'm more for a Quebec hockey team then football. Unless the CPC wants to save the CFL from dying off when Toronto gets an NFL team in the future. If they go back to Ottawa and then move to Quebec, Halifax is next.

If Toronto stays around, I don't see why you can't add a Saskatoon team, Saskatechwan seems to love the CFL.

Quebec
Montreal
Toronto
Halifax
Ottawa
Hamilton

Winnipeg
Regina
Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
Saskatoon

CFL wants to survive they've got to look towards the Arena League in the states as a guide. That franchise is popular and profitable. back in the 90s you only needed about 500k to start up a team, now its around 25mil I believe.
Get local sports celebrities to buy into the teams as owners,  and promote the heck out of it, make it fun. Make it affordable for families. Get sports radio to talk about it a lot. Then promote the game through the local level in high schools get more high school football teams etc.

simple marketing plan that works.

Lil Me

Sportsdude wrote:
 I don't see why you can't add a Saskatoon team, Saskatechwan seems to love the CFL.
--
 Not enough people in the province to support more than one team.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

Yeah true.
To think the St. Louis Blues were going to move to Saskatoon until about 11:59pm on a midnight deadline to save the 'St. Louis Blues' back in the 80s. lol

Van

Maybe I am off in saying nobody cares about the CFL? Everyone I used to work with all cared about the Seahawks, not the Lions.

I don't watch NFL at all. CFL is the only league I have respect for. I just never seem to catch a game.

From what I hear (and believe me, I don't know much about it), is that if Toronto tries to get an NFL team, and keeps charging the crazy prices like they did for the preseason, that it won't last long? No Blue collar crowd. Just an uppity TO corporate crowd. Could make for a boring place to be? Wouldn't TO need a new stadium (Billions of dollars?) and the team itself (almost a billion dollars)? I hope 0% of my tax money goes to that. Then again, I can say that about a lot of things my tax dollars go to.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

Over the years after playing it for what seemed like ages, I find football rather boring (did so as a player as well lol)

Van

Yes, seems slow to me too? Never got people wasting a whole Sunday from breaky til late evening sitting on a couch watching football? Every Sunday in the fall too?

I did go to the Lions when I was younger. My dad liked them a lot. A live game is different though. I would consider going again if I could find friends that were interested.

Sportsdude

Yeah live games are more fast paced. I got tired of the scheduling of the games. I found the practice schedules counter productive. We'd beat up each other M-F for 3hrs a day and then play a game on Sat. when we're all injured for practicing at full speed/full contact/full pads etc. Then you'd see the soccer guys having a game every other day. Then you start thinking gosh all we do is practice.  

Van

You should just play baseball. Drink beer, chase girls, get fat, still slug a homer! lol...

Sportsdude

lol. Yeah I'm so un-American now, I like watching soccer games.
no commercials
constant movement

Van

I was never a team sport guy in high school. I was always on the ski hill in the winter, and on a BMX, then mountain bike in the summer.

Sportsdude

I hated high school, but your high school experience sounds like nirvana.

Van

Sportsdude

Haha lucky you. High School haunts me like a ghost. lol