The beginning of the movement back to singer/songwriters - bye-bye Yank Idol !!!

Started by stretchedout, Jun 16 07 08:36

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

So when someone bases country and folk off todays 'country' music. [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffbf"]Of course they'll say it was different[/FONT]. To me country died when it went poppish back in the early 80's or aka that 'nashville' sound. Before that folk and country were intertwined.  

It IS different.  Today's country is one of those genres of music that has tried to be all things to all people.  (new country)  Their lack of commitment to their 'style' places their music in a non-distinguishable category.  Folk and country are very separate......for those that don't like country......perhaps less so for those that like the watered down version of country that is out there today.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

I know its different because of its watered down form. Country used to be a 'big tent' tons of genres. But that 'honky tonk' crap sort of bullied its way into the tent and kicked everyone else out.
To the point that Johnny Cash's last cd's he made wasn't played on country radio stations here because it was precieved to be 'un country' when in fact it was just as country as anything else out there.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

To the point that Johnny Cash's last cd's he made wasn't played on country radio stations here because it was precieved to be 'un country' when in fact it was just as country as anything else out there.

A flaw in the country radio stations there......not in the music.  I think of JC as a mix of folk, country, gospel and blues.....with a dash of rock.....lol

Sportsdude

no no nashville wouldn't recognize him at all. For example he'd win a couple grammies for his work with Rick Rubin and during the country music awards he wouldn't even get mentioned or nominated. After his awesome album in '94 American Recordings [a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Recordings_%28album%29"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Recordings_%28album%29[/a]
He was shunned by all of country music until his Hurt video became popular and then his death. Then you should have seen the back slapping and saying 'johnny loved us all' from Nashville. The same people that swore they would never speak to him after doing his work with Rick Rubin. It was hysterical bet Cash had a huge laugh wherever he is when that happened.

P.C.

no no nashville wouldn't recognize him at all.

I can see that.  He reached a far broader audience than the tight little range of Nashville.

Sportsdude

yup teenie boppers were listening to Cash and he was a huge draw at Glastonbury in England and his music videos were heavily played on MTV. yup that gives nashville the chills