Too old to give birth?

Started by Lise, May 27 07 07:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Did you guys heard about the 60 year old woman who gave birth to twins? How do you feel about it?

On one hand, I'm all for it. She's a woman, she knows what she wants and if she's medically sound, then go for it. It enpowers her, lets other women know that they can hold off and work on their careers and whatever before having a baby.

On the other hand, I not sure about the age. There's so much complication that can go with having a baby (let alone twins!) at her age. She'll be 80 years old by the time she sends her kids off to college!

Is it me or does that seem a bit selfish?

Anyways, here's the story and link.

CBS/AP) [!-- sphereit start --]A 60-year-old New Jersey psychologist gave birth to two boys Tuesday, making her possibly the oldest woman ever to deliver twins in the United States.

Frieda Birnbaum gave birth to "Baby A" at 12:44 p.m. and "Baby B" a minute later by Caesarean section at Hackensack University Medical Center, hospital spokeswoman Nancy Radwin said. The twins each weighed 4 pounds, 11 ounces, she said.

[FONT size=1]Read more: [/FONT][A href="http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/24/health/main2845879.shtml"][FONT size=1]http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/24/health/main2845879.shtml[/FONT][/A]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

Is it me or does that seem a bit selfish?

Well if it's you, count me in also.  That's always been my first reaction.  The potential for these kids to be orphaned at 10 is too real.  How anyone could say 'mother' in the same breath is beyond me.  It's hardly any different than a 16 year old giving birth without giving any thought past tomorrow.

Usually the thought of selfishness has been for these old guys having children with their young wives.  Tony Randal comes to mind.  It's all well and good to be able to walk around beating their chest that they can still get it up, but they are setting these kids up for certain heartbreak.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

TehBorken

Lise wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]She'll be 80 years old by the time she sends her kids off to college! [/div]  [div style="font-style: italic;"]Is it me or does that seem a bit selfish?[/div]
Trust me, it's not you. Personally I think it's insane, and not good for the child.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

kitten

It is all about the mother, not with any regard for the children.  I think it's absolutely irresponsible.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Schadenfreude

My feeling is "whatever".

This is not the first time a mature woman is raising children. How many negligent mothers have dumped their kids onto the grandmother's lap to raise? I dated a woman raised by her grandmother. She called her "Mom".

Is this older woman a worse mother than say Rosie O'Donnell? I think if the kids are raised well, they will cope. There are thousands if not millions of African children in worse situations than these two kids.
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

P.C.

My feeling is "whatever".

This is not the first time a mature woman is raising children. How many negligent mothers have dumped their kids onto the grandmother's lap to raise? I dated a woman raised by her grandmother. She called her "Mom".

Is this older woman a worse mother than say Rosie O'Donnell? I think if the kids are raised well, they will cope. There are thousands if not millions of African children in worse situations than these two kids.

I realize that Schade, women raise children under all kinds of circumstances.  If comparing, her having children at 60, to examples of bad and/or negligent mothers or dire situations of children in Africa is the only way to make her idea look like a good one, then chances are....it's not .  Comparing a 60 year old mother to a GOOD mother....to a GOOD situation, would give you a more accurate picture.  

Of course nobody can PLAN to be around until their children have reached adulthood.....illness, accidents, death...... can screw up the best laid plans.  But to knowingly, intentionally put a child

into the situation of  high likelihood of being left prematurely motherless to satisfy her own wants, is selfish IMHO

GORDY GAMBINO no 1

Id set an age limit of 20 yo.

And they gotta learn their place. I use 'on ya knees bitch' all the time and it works for me.

Schadenfreude

I think women / parents should be given an aptitude test or something alike to determine if they have the intelligence or maturity to raise children.

My guess is at least 80% of potential parents would fail.
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

P.C.

I couldn't agree with you more on that one Schade.

purelife

Yes, most women would probably fail an "aptitude" test before having kids but you must consider that some women start to pick up maternal instincts as soon as she is pregnant and as soon as she has given birth.  Most things naturally start to fall to place.  

I would never want to give birth at 60, even 40's is late for me.  I'd like to be a grand ma and hopefully a great great grandma.  

P.C.

I agree with that too purelife.....but maternal instincts only equip us for the the most basic beginnings of parenting.  Even boundless love isn't always enough for great parenting skills.  There's no doubt in my mind that it's the toughest job ever.

Sportsdude

hmm I've seen some bad parenting instincts from my cousins my age after they had kids. They easily have absolutely no parenting skills. They still take their kids to bars to drink.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

and their kids don't know their dad's at all, both of them are dead beats. So every new guy the girls bring home every week the kids call them "dad".  

Sportsdude

I wouldn't mind kids at 40. Then again my parents waited until they had a house and both had stable jobs to have kids, plus my mom is older then my dad.  

purelife

Sportsdude wrote:
hmm I've seen some bad parenting instincts from my cousins my age after they had kids. They easily have absolutely no parenting skills. They still take their kids to bars to drink.

Well SD, that's why I had initially said "some women develop maternal instincts' as to not include "everyone" as I know that not all women have "common sense and knowledge."