The "I have nothing Interesting to Say" Thread

Started by Lise, Feb 06 07 02:40

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Lil Me

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

OMG......perfect !!!!!   [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c008.gif" border=0]  I don't even want to know if that's sticky rice.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

Lil Me wrote:
For white rice, I buy whatever is on sale (usually the Rooster brand at StupidStore).
Sometimes sticky rice.
For brown/read/black rice, I buy whatever is on sale.

Ditto with us at my place. We usually look for the on sale coupons or specials at stupidstore and end up with a big bag of the rooster brand.. which we then put into one of the plastic 5 gal buckets stored in the jam closet.. and bring it up as required. We dont use it that often at my place cause when Im away overseas I tend to eat alot of rice and tire of it quickly.. lol.

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

North Vancouver and Burnaby.

My alternative isn't really new, pre-60s development. You know, back alley driveways, 100m from a commercial street with shops etc, two streets over there's a park, down the street you can walk to school etc. A community centre in the neighbourhood, block parties, neighbours actually knowing each other, people playing basketball on a public court or tennis etc.

I've only seen this in this city on a non-nice day at the beach, at Oppenheimer Park.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

My alternative isn't really new, pre-60s development. You know, back alley driveways, 100m from a commercial street with shops etc, two streets over there's a park, down the street you can walk to school etc. A community centre in the neighbourhood, block parties, neighbours actually knowing each other, people playing basketball on a public court or tennis etc.

I've only seen this in this city on a non-nice day at the beach, at Oppenheimer Park.

[/DIV] lol....wouldn't ya know.  That's exactly the kind of neighbourhood I grew up in.  Back alley driveway, community center (although I never went there in my life) no block parties...although everyone knew everyone.  So....what is missing in the neighbourhoods you're talking about.....aside from the back alleys.

P.C.

Rats Gophie....soon as you get here, and I gotta go.  

Gopher

How long will you be (if you're still there) ?  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

Traditional planning basically. I was hoping you'd find a pre-60s or 'Keynesian suburb' photo to use as your counter argument, but instead you went with the mundane which doesn't make sense with your argument.  A neighbourhood done right is where you don't need a car or bus to get to business and pleasure/parks activities a short walk which is 5mins max.

[img style="width: 442px; height: 331px;" src="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2083/2347579733_4b04424122_o.jpg"]
[font face="arial,sans-serif" size="-1"]Avenue de Fontainebleau[/font]

P.C.

Traditional planning basically. I was hoping you'd find a pre-60s or 'Keynesian suburb' photo to use as your counter argument, but instead you went with the mundane which doesn't make sense with your argument.  A neighbourhood done right is where you don't need a car or bus to get to business and pleasure/parks activities a short walk which is 5mins max.

I'm not arguing about what a neighbourhood should look like, because I couldn't tell you.  I'm saying, that the problems with youth have less to do with their geographic location than they do with the shift in how we raise them.  People raise excellent human beings out of the ghettos, and kids from superb locations turn out like crap.   I just can't buy  'good location = upstanding citizen'.  It just doesn't work that way.

Sportsdude

True, but a lot of neighbourhood+family dynamics+governmental structure on schools have a lot to do with it as well.

you need 2 out of the 3 to succeed or you'll end up a statistic.

purelife

Sportsdude wrote:

I've only seen this in this city on a non-nice day at the beach, at Oppenheimer Park

I live in a neighborhood with back alley driveways, close to shops and commercial street, few block down there's a park, down the street I can walk to a school, a community centre, a theatre, there are block parties once a year here, and neighbors really know each other and I have seen many many kids play on basketball, tennis courts, etc.  I love my neighborhood.

It's sad that you don't see it.  Every neighborhood differs.

P.C.

Hi Miss purelife !  How are you feeling these days ?

There are some nice neighbourhoods still left....yours sounds nice.   I'm sure SD remembers, that you couldn't pay me to live in some neighbourhoods....LOL

purelife

Hiya Miss Lovely P.C.  I've been having on and off days on the scale of crappiness.  I don't like throwing up, don't like dry heaving, don't like losing my appetite, but it's all for a good cause.   Oh, did I tell you that I rented a doppler?  It's for my own peace of mind.  I have to have peace of mind right now.  How have you been doing?  

Sportsdude

Mind you I deal with Westside people who go "um what is that? um whateva, okay, who are you? You live next door? *awkward silence*"

Eastside has more sense of community.
Its kinda said the best conversation I've had in this city was on the #4 bus with a homeless guy and two 90 year old eastern europeans talking and talking about soccer and the old country.

The closer I get back to UBC its me: "Can someone help me put my bike on the bus rack I don't know how" ten people staring at me thinking to themselves 'what is he talking to me? omg, weird *silence*'

The greatest people so far this year was the  40s something couple from Richmond who I befriended at Lynn Valley Park who drove me to Broadway so I could pick up a bus. There's a disconnect with the under 30 crowd, they can't speak in public. Anyone over 40 it seems is great and very personable.

P.C.

Hiya Miss Lovely P.C.  I've been having on and off days on the scale of crappiness.  I don't like throwing up, don't like dry heaving, don't like losing my appetite, but it's all for a good cause.   Oh, did I tell you that I rented a doppler?  It's for my own peace of mind.  I have to have peace of mind right now.  How have you been doing?

Awww, bummer Miss Purelife.  That is miserable for sure.  But you're right....there's an excellent pay off in the end.

OK....I'm a doofus....what is a doppler.

|