The "I have nothing Interesting to Say" Thread

Started by Lise, Feb 06 07 02:40

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

Suburbs are the child of the town and country movement. Bringing the rural to the city. So you'll see higher rates of kids never leaving the area (rural), bored (rural), and into drugs (rural, but perceived as an urban problem).

SD, I think this may have been your experience growing up bored in the suburbs.  

But to me, kids that are bored, have simply missed out on the basics.  That all their entertainment has to be put in front of them, instead of creating their own.  Games for one is what they have now.  And along with that came the fracturing of the kids on the block working and playing together....learning how to organize, how to be fair, how to support each other etc etc etc.  All these lessons are being lost.  And what better place than rows and rows of houses with families to get a sense of community.  

I raised my kids in the suburbs, and believe me, boredom was not in their vocabulary.  They didn't NEED to drive anywhere.  Kids actually spent time at each others houses...parents knew their kids friends.  A network that is no longer there.

Sports involved neighbourhood kids gathering in whoever had the biggest yard to play ball or badminton or whatever.  No fancy equipment....just fun.  They worked out their own rules by agreement and learned a ton because of it.

Kids that are bored have just not learned to value their time and their freedom.      
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

P.C.

Just a follow up of this uninteresting thread :

Michel wrote:

Weird, I think I see a heron downtown standing at the top of an approx 24 floors building...

lol....too funny.  Are you trying to say that the herons have packed up and left the suburbs to take up residence in the high rises ?   [/DIV]

P.C.

SD...this is isolated.

[img height=224 src="http://www.danheller.com/images/Europe/Scotland/Scenics/road-house-big.jpg" width=383]

This is isolated.  

[img style="WIDTH: 387px; HEIGHT: 259px" height=326 src="http://very-bored.com/pics2/housesnowhere/houses-in-middle-of-nowhere-1.jpg" width=473]

This is not isolated. It isn't pretty, but it isn't isolated.

[img style="WIDTH: 403px; HEIGHT: 262px" height=286 src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3167/2856945690_afd8e1ec49.jpg" width=443]

I understand that you have your own perspective on things, but you have to take into consideration  more than the physical structure of things before deciding what it really is that isn't working.  How we are raising our families is playing a larger role in the breakdown of things than the location of where they are being raised.  

I know you are learning things that I don't know about, as I have learned  things that you don't know about.

But if one person decides how things should be based on a certain set of experiences or background, it will only serve those with similar experiences or background.  I don't believe that serves the greater good.  Just my thoughts.    

Sportsdude

I understand completely what you are talking about P.C., but it sounds like you're explaining the 0-10 age bracket of growing up in an upper middle class suburb and not the 10-20yrs or grade 6-12 and on. I know why parents move to the suburbs to think that its a better place to grow up. Well, yeah sense of community. I grew up on a cul-de-sac, one of my group of neighbours are still alive, she's getting close to 90 now, great woman, she and her husband were like a third set of grandparents to my sister and I.
Everyone in the neighbourhood was was older, out of the 'young families' (which were 3) all had boys my age so my sister never had actual friends in the neighbourhood and had to be driven everywhere to other neighbourhoods. So the ideal of that picture you have of kids playing only happened during the K-grade 5 years, if at all. The world is not Pleasantville that social dynamic maybe happen 3x a year.

Also, the neighbourhood was a place of empty nesters, the houses were built from the 70s. The new developments that the family lives in now is full of 0-10 year olds, but we've created homes where there's no need for social interaction. I don't know my new neighbours, they don't know me. I've lived there since 2005 (and not just me, my parents and so on) (there's 2 girls my age I think living next door, we've basically have waved that's about it). Suburban life is now one of isolation. We created a home that has everything you need, but a neighbourhood that's a living hell as nobody talks to each other. Land of caves.

Regardless of the new social dynamic of suburban tracts like South Surrey/Poco etc, the life of a child changes in Grade 6 (middle school) the ideal you are promoting goes away and never comes back. At grade 6 the 'city environment' suites the now young adult the best. The freedom of movement, walking to the corner shops, taking buses, having some social interaction. Suburbs at this age lead to no social interaction, just a 'he/she needs a car so he/she can visit and do things with friends' - the typical suburban parent- no social development.

That's what I'm harping about basically. Once you leave the elementary school (local) area and move to the middle school (introduced to kids outside of your neighbourhood's class), social cleavages are created and life dramatically changes. This is when 'boredom' hits as you call it and drugs/alcohol and up to no good behaviour starts and the suburban element becomes a hinderance.

This is the social aspect of burbs, I haven't even gotten to the urban sprawl, racial politics, lack of land management, houses on farm land, predominance of cars, unsustainable in the 21st century. In general though, the suburbs are where the progressive dies and regressive reigns. Hence my we need to tear them down and call them for what they are, blight. There's a better way to create more vibrant communities and "ticky tack little boxes" aren't the answer.

What helps as a young kid 0-10 traps them from 10-20.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

[FONT size=2]I understand completely what you are talking about P.C., but it sounds like you're explaining the 0-10 age bracket of growing up in an upper middle class suburb and not the 10-20yrs or grade 6-12 and on. I know why parents move to the suburbs to think that its a better place to grow up. Well, yeah sense of community. I grew up on a cul-de-sac, one of my group of neighbours are still alive, she's getting close to 90 now, great woman, she and her husband were like a third set of grandparents to my sister and I.
Everyone in the neighbourhood was was older, out of the 'young families' (which were 3) all had boys my age so my sister never had actual friends in the neighbourhood and had to be driven everywhere to other neighbourhoods. So the ideal of that picture you have of kids playing only happened during the K-grade 5 years, if at all. The world is not Pleasantville that social dynamic maybe happen 3x a year.[/FONT]

This is kind of what I'm talking about.  You're basing your opinions of suburbs in general to your negative experience there.  Hundreds of thousands of others have a different take on it.

[FONT size=2]Also, the neighbourhood was a place of empty nesters, the houses were built from the 70s. The new developments that the family lives in now is full of 0-10 year olds, but we've created homes where there's no need for social interaction. I don't know my new neighbours, they don't know me. I've lived there since 2005 (and not just me, my parents and so on) (there's 2 girls my age I think living next door, we've basically have waved that's about it). Suburban life is now one of isolation. We created a home that has everything you need, but a neighbourhood that's a living hell as nobody talks to each other. Land of caves. [/FONT]

If suburban life is "now one of isolation", I say it's that's the personal choice of those who live there.

[FONT size=2]Regardless of the new social dynamic of suburban tracts like South Surrey/Poco etc, the life of a child changes in Grade 6 (middle school) the ideal you are promoting goes away and never comes back. At grade 6 the 'city environment' suites the now young adult the best. The freedom of movement, walking to the corner shops, taking buses, having some social interaction. Suburbs at this age lead to no social interaction, just a 'he/she needs a car so he/she can visit and do things with friends' - the typical suburban parent- no social development.

That's what I'm harping about basically. Once you leave the elementary school (local) area and move to the middle school (introduced to kids outside of your neighbourhood's class), social cleavages are created and life dramatically changes. This is when 'boredom' hits as you call it and drugs/alcohol and up to no good behaviour starts and the suburban element becomes a hinderance. [/FONT]

Actually, I thought boredom was your description, but anyway.....Doesn't is make more sense to explore the boredom than to annihilate the suburbs ?  Why are they bored.  What is it they want to do that they think they can't ?  

I'm pretty aware that kids from 0 -10 and 10-20 have different needs and the dynamics of their social lives change.  What I'm not convinced of, is that living in the suburbs dictates how socially developed or adjusted a 'child' is.

I'm sure you're aware, that living in the suburbs is not a direct path to becoming a drug addict or partaking in bad behaviour.  That's largely to do with upbringing IMO.

Also, I'm not promoting an ideal.  I'm saying that getting back to basics with our kids IS the ideal. I'm also not saying that suburbia is utopia.  

Exactly what is your alternative ?      

Lil Me

Whoa!  I missed all the excitement :)

I'm staying out of this debate.
 *whistles*

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

Rats.  This place could use a rousing debate.  

purelife

What kind of rice does everyone like to cook with?    

Lil Me

I won't disagree with anything SD is saying, although I believe he is putting a necessarily negative one-sided spin on the issue.

Some, but not all suburban teens are bored.
 A lot of kids have jobs, interests, and healthy social lives.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lil Me

For white rice, I buy whatever is on sale (usually the Rooster brand at StupidStore).
 Sometimes sticky rice.
 For brown/read/black rice, I buy whatever is on sale.

P.C.

Ahhh....bless yer buttons for your input Lil Me.  lol

Do you mean brands of rice, or types of rice, purelife ?  I use Uncle Toms.  It has been my favourite rice for as long as I can remember.  I'd be lost if it ever went off the market.  

*I don't think he is related to Uncle Ben.

Lil Me

LOL.
 But he *might* be related to Uncle Ben.  Or Aunt Jemima.  Or Betty Crocker.

P.C.

He might be.  I only know he is not related to the Pilsbury Doughboy or Dr. Pepper.  The rest are possibilities.

Lil Me

P.C.

LOL  

Whoever his kin is, he makes good rice.    

|