First Blood - Meaning missed

Started by Rambo, Jan 30 07 07:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo

Ok,

I have just watched the original "First Blood" from 1982 again, for the 1st time in like about 10 years & it got me to thinking how Hollywood ended up skewing the original message intended by the 1st movie, by making all the sequels.
   The 1st one was clearly meant to depict how hard life was for the Vietnam Vets, whom had come home & how they faced difficulty adjusting to Civillian life. The whole message behind the movie is summed up beautifukky in Stallones performance at the end, where Col. Troutman is trying to calm him down. This scene dramatically, I believe communicates the anguish these guys went through.
  The part where Hollywood screwed up though, was all the destruction & action scenes. Whether they intended to, or not, that touched off a public demand for more of the same & soon you had your Rambo's 2, 3 & Die Hards etc...so while Hollywood got big $$$ from the spin-off effect. I believe that it only distracts from the original, which was more like a Docu-Drama, with lots of explosions.

Russ

True enough actually.. I have all three and you can tell the first one was like what you said..

Also did you know it was filmed in Hope, BC? They still have some Rambo stuff around there for touristy stuff. It was amazing.. first time I watched it I recognized the town! It has changed alot though.. now.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

In the orginal Rambo Sly is suppose to kill himself but then the production studio said 'wait this could be a franchise' so they messed it up.  Thats what I read somewhere now they're making a new Rambo.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

Good observations, rambo !
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

TehBorken

Rambo wrote:
Whether they intended to, or not, that touched off a public demand for more of the same & soon you had your Rambo's 2, 3 & Die Hards etc...so while Hollywood got big $$$ from the spin-off effect.

True, true. They just about wet their pants thinking about the $$$ they'll make from sequels.

I believe that it only distracts from the original, which was more like a Docu-Drama, with lots of explosions.

Yeah, but you can never go wrong with car chases, gun fights, and big explosions.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Lise

Big guns, big fights, big explosion = money making in Hollywood. The better Vietnam vet-returns-consequences out there would have to be Born on the 4th July (Tom Cruise) and Heaven & Earth. (Tommy Lee Jones)
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

Oh gawd....I must be a little slow tonight.  Are you saying that Born on the 4th of July was GOOD?....or not so good?  (I thought it was one of the biggest wastes of film ever)

If I'm reading this right, rambo is saying that 'Rambo, First Blood', had a decent message that got lost in an annoying, overdone string of sequels that took away from a meaningful message.  Yes?   No?

Lise

Well, I thought it wasn't too bad..... it was one of Tom's better work IMHO. *shrugs*
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Russ

P.C. wrote:
 Oh gawd....I must be a little slow tonight.  Are you saying that Born on the 4th of July was GOOD?....or not so good?  (I thought it was one of the biggest wastes of film ever)

If I'm reading this right, rambo is saying that 'Rambo, First Blood', had a decent message that got lost in an annoying, overdone string of sequels that took away from a meaningful message.  Yes?   No?[/DIV]
 rambo was saying that the origional movie had somethign of a message taht was lost in the sequels. So yes.

Lise was saying that she thought that born on the fourth of july was a better vietnam vet movie in showing what happens to vietnam vet movies in how messed up they are..

I think.

Want an ice cold beer miss PC? I think you need to join me in a drink.  

Sportsdude

I'm shocked nobody has mentioned Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket  

P.C.

I'm drinking, I'm drinking....lol  

However, I don't drink beer.  I'm ever so happy with my Sambuca.

So....off topic a wee bit.....well, maybe a whole lot.  Speaking of Sly Stallone.  All his goofy Rocky films.....I KEEP hearing that Rocky 97....or whatever it is....is supposed to be REALLY GOOD.  Can this be so?  

Russ

My brother and his gf saw it last week. They said it was good. If m brother says that its decent.

Sportsdude

I'm going nowhere near a drunk rocky film.

Rocky best seen plastered so you can mimmick Rocky with friends.

P.C.

Do you think you'd watch it Russ?  

Russ

When it comes out on DVD. I dont like the rocky movies.. My brother did.