Blasted Wind and Rain Storm!!

Started by Russ, Nov 15 06 03:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

Well, on the way home I saw a HUGE tree that collapsed onto a house along 12th ave between fraser just before kingsway. The police and city workers had both of the lanes closed going towards kingsway except for one going each way on the other side of the street. As the tree had pulled out from its roots when it toppled pulling up half the lane and the green space with part of the sidewalk. Two houses look affected. Myself and my carpool buddy laughed, talk about Karma coming up...

When I got to the way down towards my house many branches had fallen and one tree along the block.

However, Im now soaked. We have one of those temporary/permanent tarp garages covering the 21 foot skiboat that my brother and I share.. You guessed it the whole thing had torn or shifted and was flapping. I was just down there tying everything togehter with strong ropes and putting stay ropes to keep the structure from moving or flexing... Then the leg on one end that I was just tying whipped out with a big gust of wind pulling one of the roof structure pieces and cracked the side of the window on my boat! It also smacked the gunnel side right below the window putting those fibreglass spider cracks into the newer gelcoat I had put on during the summer.

EDIT: I just went and looked again after relaxing and being inside for a while. The window looked cracked from beside it on the ground but when I went into the boat, it had knocked the window OUT of the aluminum window siding. Hard to explain. It is a little cracked, but if I put it back into the slider and reseal it with some window adhesive it'll be good as new. <cooler tempered head talking>

Grr. I have secured it ok now, but left the sides flapping to keep the wind from catching it.. Im hoping our house insurance will cover the boat as we took the insurance off the boat/trailer mid october; due to it being a nice weather boat and we couldnt see using it during the winter, lol.

Hope its better where you all are, or you are having abetter day and wind/rain experience  
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

It hasn't stopped raining and its really windy here all day. Supposedly it might snow tonight.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

Oh my Russ.  Sorry to hear about your boat.  From where I sit at my desk, all looks so quiet and calm outside  I can tell you that I'm not looking forward to leaving this building.  Thank goodness that I'll be taking the skytrain for the night than driving.  I hope that it settles down this late evening.  I'm lucky that I don't have to be outside for so long.

My b/f, on the otherhand, works outdoors for part of his job.  Thank goodness he brought that heavy duty rain coat the other day to keep him super warm and dry.  

TehBorken

Yeah, it's been raining like hell here and it's blowing so hard the rain is going sideways. I can't believe I haven't lost power yet.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Russ

Thanks guys. Sorry about the rant, I was a little frustrated and wet.

I saw it was snowing in the mountains, but I dont think itll snow down here yet.

Hopefully your boyfriend doesnt get sick purelife.. Im wearing warmer clothes and a better rainjacket tomorrow.  
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

yeah Its raining pretty bad here, don't think I'm going to make that treck to school tonight. Don't feel like it and don't trust that tire. Rather have the tire blow up in the snow and rain tonight in the middle of the night instead of in the middle of a traffic jam going 100kph right next to some semi.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

I hope so too, Russ.  When he gets sick, I might get it as well.  Lately, I've been immuned to colds, even when he gets it.  *knock on wood a few 100 times*

Lise

Boy, Russ! Sorry to hear about that. I hate the rain too and it looks like it's not going to get any better. I hate to be the one out there driving now.

Coffee's on me.          
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lise

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

I was supposed to be getting the weatherstripping replaced on my car and had an appointment this afternoon after work.  When I got to the garage they told me they hadn't ordered it in case I didn't show up, and they wanted prepayment on the work.  I very politely told them to forget it and went to a place I have dealt with before.  Meanwhile, I'm stuck with a leaky car for another week.  Grrr.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Lise

Ah, cars are the bane of my life. You can't live with one and you can't live without one. Had mine just in the shop recently. I almost dropped at the pricetage. *grumble grumble grumble*

Some of these car dealerships are just out there to rip your wallet, Ms. kitten. Gotta be a good mechanic that will help you and not just think you're made outta money.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

Actually, the place I'm going to have my car done is very good.  They seem to take pride in their work and don't gouge you.  I've never had trouble with anything they've repaired.

Lise

Oh wow, really? Maybe I'll get the address off you one of these days. Am always on the hunt for good mechanics.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

It's Midas, at the corner of Willingdon and Dawson.  You could tell them I recommended them if you want.

Lise

Oh I know what you're talking about. I've seen this place. Sure thing, kitten. Thanks for the heads up.

Bill Cosby.