So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

purelife

Are you camping at Alouette Lake, Lil Me?    I've been there once.  It's really nice for bbq's.

Michel

Lil Me

Yup.  I'll be there all weekend with my cooler full of clanking bottles.  Should be interesting *sighs* since I'll be there with a boatload of cousins.  I'm starting to wonder whether I can survive the family drama.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

Are you camping with all 130 family members?  

Lil Me

lol.  No, there will only be about 20 of us.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

Lil Me wrote:
purelife- Lightning Lake @ Manning?

I'm not sure, Lil Me.  But as soon as I get back from camping, I'll report back.  No hot water for a few days could be torture for me.  Maybe I'll lose 2 pounds from being in the wild.

Michel

purelife

What are some of  your favorite foods to bring for camping?  (besides booze)

I was thinking of taking hot dogs, marshmellows, canned salmon/tuna/sardines, crackers, fruit....

Michel

P.C.

I'd pass on the canned fishy stuff purelife.  It's hard to rid your campsite of the bear-bait aroma.  Even washing, wrapping and bagging the used cans isn't enough.  (burning them out is good if campfires are allowed)

Think about bringing dried foods over canned foods.  Noodles, soups, cereals etc.   Pancake mix for brekky.  Hot dog weenys or meats with burnable wrappers is good..... (again, if campfires are even allowed at this time).  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

P.C.

Yes....Lil Me would be a good person to answer this.  I was delving WAYYYY back to my old back-packing days.  Light-carrying, compact, minimum of leftover packaging type of stuff.   LOL  I'm thinking camping has a different set of guidelines.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

P.C. is absolutely correct if you're backpacking in the middle of nowhere.

But car camping at Manning Park is EASY!!!
 Eat whatever you would normally have at home. Freeze the meat before you go and it will stay colder.
 Canned fish is totally fine.
 I wouldn't store any food (including coolers and Rubbermaid containers) in my tent- best leave that stuff in the car when you're not using it.

Just remember...don't worry about the bears.  Someone else is always dumber than you are.  There's going to be some other camper who has a lb of bacon and some BBQ chips in his tent- the bears smell him, not you.

Lil Me

ADD: If you get really lazy, Manning Park has a store and restaurants.  Plus the town of Hope isn't that far away.  You could spend all weekend eating pizza and McD if you really wanted to.

Sawdust

When thinking about bears, remember this.

You only have to be able to run faster than one other person.

The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

|