So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Gopher

More or less it's the response to the world's lost innocence.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

I think that's most likely it Gophie. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c020.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Gopher

Ah yes, it's very sad indeed - we just have to hang on to our own (well, as much as 'they' let us).
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

I wonder too, if the activities our children are involved in are more likely to keep them from befriending their neighbours.  Indoor electronic games, teams and classes that usually put them with kids from outside their own area.  We seem to be driving our kids away from this, by the involvement of amusements for one.  Video games etc.  

We seldom walked to school in groups of less than half a dozen...because the whole neighbourhood played together on a daily basis.

Sportsdude

P.C. wrote:
I think they're quicker to shut the schools down when there's snow now, because such a huge percentage of kids are driven to school or bussed.  

I hate to go into the 'when I was a kid' stories, but I will anyways...lol  I really DO remember walking to school in thigh high snow.  But then my school was filled with kids who lived within walking distance.  The only thing that has changed is the concept of 'walking distance'.  I guess some of that is partly due to safety issues in sending our kids walking anywhere these days ?

We've turned into a car based society mixed with parents are scared their kids are going to get abducted if they walked around. I used to bike everywhere up til high school. I never see kids biking anywhere anymore.

Not complaining though about the day off, lots of reading I still have to do and cleaning as well.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

I used to bike everywhere up til high school. I never see kids biking anywhere anymore.

How come you stopped biking?  

Lil Me

One of the other problems with school closures during snowy weather is that school staff commute from other areas and often can't get to work.

Same problem happens with the City of Van workers, Translink bus drivers, emergency services, etc.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

purelife wrote:
  [em][/em]How come you stopped biking?

didn't hang out with the kids in the subdivision anymore, went to high school that was 50km away, drove everywhere.

Michel

P.C.

Just heading in to the kitchen to make dinner myself.  We're having surprize dinner tonight.

Lil Me

How surprizing is it?!

Soup and frozen no-cheese pizza for sick Heckyl and also for Jeckyl.  Leftover beef stew for me.
 Apples and oranges all around.

Well, I managed to "make hay while the snow falls" and got a whole crap load of office accounting done.  Now, time for a bevvy.

Watched The Naked Gun with Heckyl and Jeckyl earlier.  Dude, that movie is a classic.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

Ah, that makes sense, SD.  

Good evening everyone.

Dinner is sole, some potato wedges and sauerkraut..had a smoothie earlier.

Michel

Sportsdude

most productive day ever.
cleaned, washed clothes, vaccuumed, washed all the dishes, put all the dishes away, cooked and cleaned some more, tackled the bathroom, did some bills. Sometimes I wonder if the other 3 people in this place even notice.

Michel

|