So... Whats for lunch?

Started by kits, Feb 06 06 09:57

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

OMG....that's bizarre 49er....I was going to post a topic about that.  I love her voice.  She's actually a Canadian gal I think.  Leslie Fiest.  She also does that commercial.....something about making a rented house a home....another catchy tune with that lovely lilty voice.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

that's canadian artist Feist.
Love her she's so awesome. A friend of mine from Mala has met her in person.
[a href="vny!://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Z-DIAthbM"]vny!://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Z-DIAthbM[/a]

Arts and Crafts label from Toronto has some of the best artist/music groups on the planet right now.
Broken Social Scene
Stars
Feist
oh so good.

Then the Montreal bands
Arcade Fire
The Stills
Malajube

Vancouver has some great bands/singers too. They're not as internationally known as the Toronto and Montreal bands though.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

Gosh I could talk for hours about Feist. You can't pin her down in a musical genre. So good.

P.C.

Feist's single Mushaboom is in an ad for Lacoste perfume.  McDonald's offered her one million dollars for the rights to use "Mushaboom" in their commercials she refused.

Her single, My Moon My Man is on Verizon Wireless commercial and the chocolate cell phone one.  In the advert, the name of both the song and artist appears on the phone in closeup.

P.C.

You're WAY too young to probably know Maria Muldaur.....but Feists sound reminds me of her.

Sportsdude

My Moon My Man sounds like its a late night jazz club, 1am. So brilliant.

[a href="vny!://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWrNCCx2p5U"]vny!://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWrNCCx2p5U[/a]

Sportsdude

oh that name sounds familiar. My friend who met her said what's your idol music wise and it was somebody with a name like that. ugh I've got to talk to her, she'll remember.  

Sportsdude

Also I think its a cell phone ad (its the college dorm commerical) but they use Malajube's Montreal -40C song catchy tune.
lol those guys are funny. When asked why do you sing in french when all the montreal bands are singing in english they're like. "well we sing in french not for patriotic reasons, but because well everyone else is singing in english." lol that's the spirit.

[a href="vny!://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oThf3jjg1Y"]vny!://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oThf3jjg1Y[/a]

49er

I heard only of her from the i-pod nano commercial.........I don't think she has appeared in any other US commercial.  From the commercial I thought she is asian.  She has a great voice

P.C.

Very 60's....Beatles/Kinks.  I like it. (even though I'm not fond of songs with words I don't understand)  

Sportsdude

Actually I think this song from Malajube is the commercial:
[a href="vny!://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WreU3AxLwM"]vny!://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WreU3AxLwM[/a]
Pâte Filo  

P.C.

That last post was in response to SDs

Yea....she sure does 49er.  I'm not a big music buyer.....but I WILL be getting some of that.  

Sportsdude

Feist is an excellent buy.

Yeah its tough at first P.C. I started with Arcade's Fire Haiti and Une Anne Sans Luimiere which part are in english and part are in french. Gradually went from there, now I can understand french in songs. lol
Most Arcade Fire songs are a mix of both. Of their new album the Song Black Waves/Bad Vibrations are a brilliant mix of the two languages. The lead singers wife who is Haitian French Quebecer and the husband leader singer who fled the states to Montreal (he's from Texas). She sings in french through the first part of the song and then he sings in english. brilliant.

Sort of like watching a foreign language film. You don't just read the sub titles you find away to glance at both at the same time then you get sucked into the movie where you don't even notice you're paying attention to the subtitles and still following along.

Sportsdude

example of what Arcade Fire does
Haiti (its a song about the lead singers wife homeland and the oppression they faced)

Haiti, mon pays,
 wounded mother I'll never see.
 Ma famille set me free.
 Throw my ashes into the sea.

Mes cousins jamais nes
 hantent les nuits de Duvalier.
 Rien n'arrete nos espirits.
 Guns can't kill what soldiers can't see.

In the forest we are hiding,
 unmarked graves where flowers grow.
 Hear the soldiers angry yelling,
 in the river we will go.

Tous les morts-nes forment une armee,
 soon we will reclaim the earth.
 All the tears and all the bodies
 bring about our second birth.

Haiti, never free,
 n'aie pas peur de sonner l'alarme.
 Tes enfants sont partis,
 in those days their blood was still warm

They sing it slow, so you can follow around easily and like most languages the slower the easier it is to understand.

P.C.

I just saw it again 49er....about the 10th time in the last couple hours.  (are you watching the football game...lol)    I mostly listen to TV....and had never really looked up.....but I just did and I see what you mean about the gal looking Asian.  (I don't even think that's her)

You'd probably recognize My Man My Moon.  I was trying to post the link to her singing it, but it was a mile long.....lol[A href="vny!://images"][/A]    

|