Hello Kitten

Started by Gopher, Apr 24 06 11:35

Previous topic - Next topic
|

kitten

My tummy is telling me to take a break for a little while.  Back in a bit,  once I decide what I want.  Maybe this will turn out to be a pizza day.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

tenkani

Ah!

Monterey Cypress is my 2nd favorite tree next to Coast Live Oak    

And they're both easy to find since I'm on the Monterey Peninsula!

Lucky me.

Sorry about the bird problem!!!
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

Gopher

Hello again, Kitten.

I've been thinking of plants to grow in a shady position. The following are o.k. in PARTIAL shade, but may be worth giving a try: Doronicum (Leopard's Bane),  large yellow daisy-like flowers, grows year after year, doesn't need much attention, let the seeds fall out before cutting down; flowers around April - June. Lunaria (Honesty) should definitely do quite well - several different colours, otherwise the rather boring Helleborus and Euphorbia. Oh, and I've just thought of Lysimachia (creeping Jenny), ground creeping, small attractive flowers could also do well.

Then again, you could create your own fernery!. Have a look what grows in local woodlands and proceed from there. Hart's-tongue fern is a nice one to try.

By the way, how's the paw?      
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

Greetings, Wise Gopher.

Thank you so much for listing those plants.  I'll write them down and take them to a nursery.  The ground creeping flowers would be lovely to cover the areas where the cedar roots are too close to the surface for planting other things.  Lunaria sounds lovely;  having different colours would be so attractive.  It sounds like Doronicum would be quite a tall plant.  Does it require support as it grows?  Because my garden runs in a south to north direction, and the cedar hedge is around twelve feet tall, it acts as a wind tunnel.  I've had other plants crushed by the wind before.  Not a pretty sight!  I'll take a look at Hellebore and Euphorbia.  They might  fit in some areas.  There is one area around to the side that is under the eaves-trough.  Every year it is covered in mould.  Last year when I cleaned out the mould I put containers of flowers that I dug halfway in to the soil.  Some survived, but most didn't.   It's a very frustrating area, and part of it is under my bedroom window.  Do you think lime would work, as one neighbour suggested?   If so, how much?  According to her, one just dumps it in, But she doesn't have a garden, so I question her knowledge.  She has loudly stated other things that were erroneous.  One of those types.         As for the paw, I have it firmly wrapped so as to support it while working.  It seems to help, but it is awkward and uncomfortable.  *This too shall pass.*

Gopher

tenkani wrote:
 Ah!

Monterey Cypress is my 2nd favorite tree next to Coast Live Oak    

And they're both easy to find since I'm on the Monterey Peninsula!

Lucky me.

Sorry about the bird problem!!!

With this information in mind, I'll now find it easier to remember what it's called when I'm asked (although, of course, I may mistakenly say it's a Tenkani).

My own favourite tree: Horse Chestnut, currently in flower and looking magnificent.

Gopher

[email protected] wrote:
 Greetings, Wise Gopher.

Thank you so much for listing those plants.  I'll write them down and take them to a nursery.  The ground creeping flowers would be lovely to cover the areas where the cedar roots are too close to the surface for planting other things.  Lunaria sounds lovely;  having different colours would be so attractive.  It sounds like Doronicum would be quite a tall plant.[FONT color=#c00000](It's not all that tall, just over 12" at a guess, so it wouldn't need any support)[/FONT] [email protected] [FONT color=#c00000](What is all this about?)  [/FONT]Does it require support as it grows?  Because my garden runs in a south to north direction, and the cedar hedge is around twelve feet tall, it acts as a wind tunnel.  I've had other plants crushed by the wind before.  Not a pretty sight!  I'll take a look at Hellebore and Euphorbia.  They might  fit in some areas.  There is one area around to the side that is under the eaves-trough.  Every year it is covered in mould.  Last year when I cleaned out the mould I put containers of flowers that I dug halfway in to the soil.  Some survived, but most didn't.   It's a very frustrating area, and part of it is under my bedroom window.  Do you think lime would work, as one neighbour suggested?   If so, how much?  According to her, one just dumps it in, But she doesn't have a garden, so I question her knowledge.  She has loudly stated other things that were erroneous.  One of those types. [FONT color=#c00000]I'm not sure what you mean by lime - the only one I can think of is the tree, I'll investigate. However, I still think that ferns would be your best bet. How about periwinkle too? Just dawned on me you mean lime to put into the soil, if you do use it, then use it with care.[/FONT]         As for the paw, I have it firmly wrapped so as to support it while working.  It seems to help, but it is awkward and uncomfortable.  *This too shall pass.*[FONT color=#c00000] It's obviously worse than I imagined, no wonder you're a hero![/FONT]

[FONT color=#c00000][/FONT]

[FONT color=#c00000]By the way, no country rambles today, we've had a huge thunderstorm and several more seem about to take place. Instead, I treated myself to a new travelling case (to go with the optimism I have for much more travelling in the future).[/FONT]

kitten

Gopher wrote:
 .([FONT color=#c00000](it's not all that tall, just over 122 at a guess, so it wouldn't need any support)[/FONT] [email protected] [FONT color=#c00000](What is all this about?) [/FONT]. [FONT color=#c00000]I'm not sure what you mean by lime - the only one I can think of is the tree, I'll investigate. However, I still think that ferns would be your best bet. How about periwinkle too? Just dawned on me you mean lime to put into the soil, if you do use it, then use it with care.[/FONT]

Okay then, Doricum sounds like a great choice.  Ferns are nice, and I live close to a wooded area where they grow in profusion.  Just one kind, though, so I'll look at other choices at the nursery  Periwinkle?  Nice idea.  By the way, I have no idea where that email address came from.  It isn't one I know.  Wonder if it's some kid trying to hack.       [FONT color=#c00000]It's obviously worse than I imagined, no wonder you're a hero! [/FONT]

[FONT color=#c00000][FONT color=#000000]Not at all, It's simply that there is nobody to replace me, so I have to support it so that I can work. [/FONT] [/FONT]

[FONT color=#c00000]By the way, no country rambles today, we've had a huge thunderstorm and several more seem about to take place. Instead, I treated myself to a new tarvelling case (to go with the optimism I have for much more travelling in the future).[/FONT]

Good for you.  I'd love to travel, but my work and my cat keep me firmly tied at home.  For the sake of the cat alone, it is well worth it.  One day I won't have him, and then I can consider my options.  We have lovely weather today, such a treat!  And more to follow.  This makes a cat very happy.

By the way, I didn't metamorphose under the moon.  It must have been the bandage that prevented it.  Old bats can't fly on one wing, you know.

Gopher

I likewise have no one to replace me at my job i.e. not one single person. Last year I had a nice 3.5 weeks off and no fewer than 12 people had to take turns step in..and much to my great satisfaction while I was away all sorts of 'unexpected extras' happened too. Great to know I was missed! I do have a lovely job though - I couldn't wish for better (unless it were the same thing with better pay).  

As for travel, I used to do a huge amount, and then for some reason (economic?) when I turned forty, I cut right back again - until last year when the bug inside me awoke from its far too long period of dormancy.  

kitten

Gopher wrote:
 I likewise have no one to replace me at my job i.e. not one single person. Last year I had a nice 3.5 weeks off and no fewer than 12 people had to take turns step in..and much to my great satisfaction while I was away all sorts of 'unexpected extras' happened too. Great to know I was missed! I do have a lovely job though - I couldn't wish for better (unless it were the same thing with better pay).  

As for travel, I used to do a huge amount, and then for some reason (economic?) when I turned forty, I cut right back again - until last year when the bug inside me awoke from its far too long period of dormancy.

Isn't it nice to know that the world can't function without you.  Indispensable is sort of nice on the resume and on the ego as well.  I love my job too, but I do wish I had more strength to work with.  Giving someone a quality of life that they couldn't have otherwise is so very rewarding.  

I would dearly love to go back to New Brunswick to see my family (in the summer), but it is so expensive now that I doubt it will be feasible.  The travel, I mean, not the stay.

Sportsdude

Yeah the flight to NB would be pretty hefty and long.  But for some reason to me being a bush pilot into the artic seems like the coolest job in the world.  But then again I'm geared to be a lonely person in life so the quietness of the job and lack of friends and people interaction wouldn't bother me. But there's just something about being a bush pilot that makes me goose bumps.[/DIV]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

kitten

Sorry, Sportsdude, I replied in the lunch thread instead of here.  I commented on the fact that the Arctic would give you goosebumps most of the year.

Sportsdude

Yeah I know but I meant goose bumps in a good way. Like the pic I posted in Pictures only, there is something cool about looking at land that has never been touched by humans, ever.

Gopher

To Kitten: we must be rarities, we both love our jobs! With me it wasn't always the case - by a long way. However 12 years ago things just seemed to fall into place.

To: Sportsdude. You're geared to being lonely? I've had that problem too - in time you'll find things start to move without your  even taking the trouble to turn things round.  

Sportsdude

Sportsdude is shy around the ladies, this makes him depressed and empty. Everytime he sees a couple on the street he feels empty, sad and depressed. This has always been the case.  He's not all that social but going to a party you would think otherwise because he talks it up when and if he gets comfortable.

Gopher

Gopher is exactly the opposite as far as party-going is concerned, he's out of the door before it's even closed behind him.

|