Corner Gas to close up shop in Spring of '09

Started by Sportsdude, Apr 11 08 04:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

Apparently Butt pulled the plug didn't want the show to lag. Network of course wanted it to go on.

[a href="http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/080410/canada/arts_tv_corner_gas"]http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/080410/canada/arts_tv_corner_gas[/a]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

Ja, I heard of it. So sad. I will miss Corner Gas and Dog River. Waaaah!!!    
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

my friend is into the show, when he emigrated to Winnipeg, the show was his first 'Canadian' experience.  

stretchedout

I've never felt compelled to watch - what is it like?
C'mon, the city is sleeping!

Van

It is pretty bland. I guess that is the intention though. I like Lacey on the show, except she wears too much clothes!!

heheh!!
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

i dunno apparently its about rural Canada, reminds me of rural America though. lol The way they talk about meaningless things, find amusement in something small etc (from the shows I've seen that's the plot). That's sooo rural america minus the bitching about democrats taking their guns away and "mexicans, gays, liberals and turban heads" taking over the country. Other then that the show always reminds me of farm life, the nicer version. lol

stretchedout

Sportsdude wrote:
i dunno apparently its about rural Canada, reminds me of rural America though. lol The way they talk about meaningless things, find amusement in something small etc (from the shows I've seen that's the plot). That's sooo rural america minus the bitching about democrats taking their guns away and "mexicans, gays, liberals and turban heads" taking over the country. Other then that the show always reminds me of farm life, the nicer version. lol

So it is a dumbied down, bored down version of My name is Earl?

C'mon, the city is sleeping!

Sportsdude

my name is earl isn't rural america. Its losers who live in SoCal, in a tralier park. Its more Trailer Park Boys for America.
No, Corner Gas is the first 'rural' representation that's come the closet in comedy form I've seen. Its not dumbed down, it doesn't play on stereotypes. Its not flashy, nor is it really controversial.

There's been a couple rural dramas (Waltons, Green Acres, Dukes of Hazzard, Medicine Woman, Little House on the prairie) but nobody has done a comedy yet besides corner gas that doesn't dwell on redneck stereotypes (foxworthy, hee haw, heck even beverly hill billies). First comedy that doesn't show people from the rural areas as idiots/backward people.

Van

I don't watch it a ton, but I catch the odd episode. I think it is a refreshing show in it being so simple, in the modern age of shows like Nip/Tuck, Dirty Housewifes, etc.  

I never watched My Name is Earl. Jason Lee is a funny dude though.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Lise

You  haven't watched CG? I love it. It's original and funny, fresh from the usual junk we have. The jokes are sharp and characters just lovable. I'll always remember Oscar's 'Jackass' quote.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

van_guy

Lise wrote:
You  haven't watched CG? I love it. It's original and funny, fresh from the usual junk we have. The jokes are sharp and characters just lovable. I'll always remember Oscar's 'Jackass' quote.

Oscar is my dad  ...

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

Lil Me

Hi Van Guy...son of Oscar.  *waves*

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Van

I just hope when the show ends, Gabrielle Miller keeps making other shows.

van_guy

Lil Me wrote:
Hi Van Guy...son of Oscar.  *waves*

Thanks LM.  

Oh dear - my bed just fell apart.

Well a few bricks - good as new - kinda.

Jackass to who ever built this thing....

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)