Dino Robots in Stanley Park

Started by Lise, Sep 28 07 05:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think it's a good idea to have robotic dinosaurs in Stanley Park?

No
4 (80%)
Yes
0 (0%)
Don't Care
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Lise

This is JUST ridiculous. I say NO WAY, absolutely NO way to having these monsters in Stanley Park. If anything, I would put the money to better maintain the park and have more friendly rest areas.

What do you think?

[FONT color=#808080 size=2]September 28, 2007[/FONT] [FONT color=black]
Vancouver's majestic Stanley Park famous for being one of the largest natural parks within the downtown core of any world city may soon be reverting to the Jurassic era. If the Vancouver Park's Board approves a proposal which may have its basis from the movie Jurassic Park then Stanley Park will be transormed.  Vancouver Park's Board is to review a proposal to install up to 30 robotic dinosaurs in Stanley Park. The proposed location for these robot dinosaurs is near the miniature train ride.  Tourists visiting Stanley Park are against any ideas to change the natural beauty of the park by installing man-made dinosaur effigies. Many visitors feel that this would detract from the serene tranquility of the park and turn the park into an amusement attraction. Visitors are currently attracted to the park for its natural beauty. Stanley Park stands as an oasis amid towers of steel and concrete.  Read more [A href="http://www.virtualvancouver.com/news/news-70.html"]By Kyle Ware[/A] [/FONT]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

couldn't agree more with you Lise. Welcome to Stanley Amusement Park.

They should focus on family areas, a stronger sea wall (still not completed).

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

My first reaction is the same Lise.  I'd be interested to see what kind of area this would consume.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

P.C.

I'm thinking Stanley Park covers a huge acreage.  I can't visualize what kind of space 30 robotic dinosaurs would take up.  As it is now....I like the idea of the train ride taking you through a journey of seeing our natural residents.  Wolves, rabbits....etc.  Maybe they should take the dinosaurs out to the Flintstone place.

Michel

Lil Me

Dinotown in Chiliwack used to be called Bedrock City (with Flintstones characters).  It's still the same damn thing today (minus Fred and Barney).

There was also a Bedrock City in Kelowna, but I dunno what happened to it.    
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Michel

Lise

They're thinking of putting it in the railroad tracks. It's a pity because it's so lovely on the tracks, you get to see the pond, the cottage etc. etc. To put in dinosaurs would just ruin the whole effect. It's so darn tacky.

The place you're talking about, Lil Me, is called[A href="http://www.dinotown.com/dino/"] Dinotown[/A]. It's still there. Quite tacky but the kids seemed to like it. While yes, it may attract a lot more kids and adults, it so damn cheesy. No, I would not want something like this at Stanley Park.

If they want to do something, improve the petting farm. It's such a sorry state that I hate taking the kids there. It just doesn't feel clean like at [A href="http://www.beaconhillpark.ca/petting_zoo_beacon_hill_park.htm"]Beacon Hill Farm[/A] in Victoria.[/DIV]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Michel

JJ

I thought the idea was to make Stanley Park more natural.  They've got rid of the zoo, and were going to plant native trees to replace what was damaged!  

My 5 year old niece would be so scared if they had robot dinosaurs by the train you could never get her on it.  Are they crazy!

P.C.

I think all in all, it would be a HUGE expense that could be better spent in existing areas in the park.  I'd love to see a beautiful garden of JUST plants that are native to BC.   And I agree too Lise, that if you're going to house animals in a park, for gawd sake, make their spaces as wonderful and 'natural' as possible.