Current Reading

Started by Gopher, Apr 16 06 11:15

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Lise

Nope. What's that?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Gopher

I think they're currently making it into a film - ostebnsibly it's a children's book. It's got eerie depths though and I imagine that eventually it will get a cult following.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Gopher

The Pelican Brief - John Grisham

purelife

Has anybody read The Life of Pi?  Just curious...

Lise

Gopher wrote:
The Pelican Brief - John Grisham[/DIV]
   I watched that. S'okay. Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington, right?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Gopher

Don't know. I didn't see the film - but as far as the reading's going, I imagine it was better than the book.  

Ally

I read half of the Life of Pi.

I'm a really avid reader and love getting great suggestions from other readers.

I kept hearing about the Life of Pi and picked it up about 2 years ago.  I just could not get into it.

It never grabbed me.  I tried and tried and finally retired it to my bookshelf.
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)

purelife

Hmm, okay.  Thanks for letting me know.  I won't be buying that book then.  

My friend was verrry animate of me buying the book "A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry.  I brought it, read a quarter way and couldn't continue.  It was so verrrrry depressing. I had already cried in the beginning.  I was begging my friend to tell me if it gets any better, but she said "nope"  I almost balled again....sad sad depiction of India.  I might finish it one day when I'm it that "mood."  

P.C.

Not enjoying the Grisham, Gophie?  I like his stories.  I've read them all.  There was one I DIDN'T like, but I can't remember which one it was.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Gopher

I'm finding it's getting better, three more chapters seemed to do the trick.

Sportsdude

I added another book to the 8 Orwell books, The Motorcycle Diaries.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Marik

Yeah we were doing book reports in class the other day, and about 5 different people were reading Life of Pi. They said it was OK, but unrealistic, since there's a tiger or whatever on board, and it doesn't eat the kid. But hey, what do we high school kids know? ;)

The Alphabet of Manliness  by  Maddox  
^  funny ass book; go read it. "R" (for road rage) is the best chapter.

Sportsdude

I'd probably have been kicked out of school for reading the book.  Damn christian school.  They censured everything.  For example when we read Huckleberry Finn we weren't allowed to speak the words in the book, the teacher would give us detention.  God was she a nut case.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

Smiley's People - John le Carre

|