Current Reading

Started by Gopher, Apr 16 06 11:15

Previous topic - Next topic
|

P.C.

I just can't get my mind around that I guess.  That's like a book a day.  I'm lucky these days if I can get through a dozen pages before I go to sleep. I suppose that's the part I'm overlooking.....I RARELY read in the day time.  (I'd be scared to start)
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

Yeah, Im the same right now PC. I cant start reading a book during the day or I dont stop, same thing at night, Ill stay up an extra two hours reading when I should be sleeping.

On the ship other than playing games, watching movies, harrasing others, you read lots.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Trollio

What the Koran Really Says, by Ibn Warraq (Boring as hell, as it is a technical/academic analysis of the original Arabic text of the book, showing among other things how it could not possibly have been written by any deity or angel. Because gods don't usually make grade school level mistakes in composition.)

one must be intelligent to get intelligent answers.
— bebu

Russ

Wow, did you have any trouble getting the book? Is there any controversy around it Trollio? I cant beleive that the Muslim community didnt cry foul and try to burn everything surround a book nit picking their Koran.

Other than being dry, is it pretty good?

Trollio

[span style="font-style: italic; color: rgb(128, 0, 0);"] Russ wrote:[/span][br style="font-style: italic; color: rgb(128, 0, 0);"][div style="font-style: italic; color: rgb(128, 0, 0);"]Wow, did you have any trouble getting the book? Is there any controversy around it Trollio? I cant beleive that the Muslim community didnt cry foul and try to burn everything surround a book nit picking their Koran. [/div] [div style="font-style: italic; color: rgb(128, 0, 0);"] [/div] [span style="font-style: italic; color: rgb(128, 0, 0);"]Other than being dry, is it pretty good?[/span]

No trouble getting it, but you guessed it, the author (whose name is not really Ibn Warraq -- that means 'son of a bookseller') is under a fatwa, and if they ever found out who he was, they would most definitely kill him in a heartbeat.

It's quite good for what it is. The best thing about Ibn Warraq is that we do know that he is a former Muslim from South Asia, so his books are not coming from the "[insert faith here] is better than Islam" perspective, but from a guy who grew up in and lived his life as a rather devout Muslim at one point.
one must be intelligent to get intelligent answers.
— bebu

Gopher

The Negotiator - Frederick Forsyth  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Russ

Dunno if anyones interested but I had a friend send me this link cause I was asking questions about it to my friends after Trollio's post.

Free Koran, just pay shipping.

[A href="http://www.slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=329487"]http://www.slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=329487[/A]

Gopher, ever read the dogs of war by him? Good book.

Gopher

No, but thanks for the tip - I'll give it a try.

Russ

I actually went looking for my book Gopher! Im going to reread it next.

linky just so you can know what its about.

[A href="http://www.amazon.com/Dogs-War-Frederick-Forsyth/dp/0553268465"]http://www.amazon.com/Dogs-War-Frederick-Forsyth/dp/0553268465[/A]

Gopher

Thanks, I've just checked it out.

Gopher

The Cardamom Club - Jon Stock

kitten

Province newspaper.  No time to get to the library yet.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

Maybe you should stop reading the paper?

kitten

Not while it has comics in it!
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

I thought that might be the attraction (I take it that you mean the references to political figures).

|