Current Reading

Started by Gopher, Apr 16 06 11:15

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Lil Me

Through Black Spruce- Joseph Boyden
 The 2008 Giller Prize winning novel.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

Gopher wrote:
Homecoming  - Bernhard Schlink  

One of the best 'new to me' books I've come across in ages.

A fool's paradise is better than none.

Lise

The Way of the Shadow by Brent Weeks
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Gopher

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists - Robert Tressell  

Michel

[a href="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6vfSp0MIJTM/SOK2zTCMH-I/AAAAAAAAANo/OytgBEBlOvs/s320/the-wrong-trousers.jpg"][/a]

Gopher

The Old Patagonian Express - Paul Theroux (second time around)  

Gopher

Pompeii - Robert Harris  

Lil Me

Finished The Gum Thief by Doug Coupland.

Like any Doug Coupland, it's full of witty description but also makes one feel generally depressed and lethargic.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

The Plague - Albert Camus  

Michel

Gopher

Not as overwhelmingly wonderful as I had been led to believe. I recall reading it in my teens (600 years ago) and not finding it very special even then. I just thought I'd give it another try and see if my opinion had changed.  

Michel

Russ

Road to Omaha by Robert Ludlum
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

I'm reading Ageless Body Timeless Mind by Deepak Chopra.....again.  It didn't take the first time.[img onclick="selecte('eh.gif');" alt=emoticon src="http://www.pushupstairs.com/images/emoticon/blehnet/eh.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Gopher

Michel wrote:
lol same here. I read it twice in the original French and was not impressed. I too give it another try after many years just in case. I suspect that a lot of Camus prestige is coming from political reasons as he was the only well known anticommunist intellectual who participate in the French Resistance.

I found [em]La Chute[/em] however much better ("the fall" maybe it would be called in English)......

I was relieved that you had the same reaction to this book, I thought I was the only one.

|