Current Reading

Started by Gopher, Apr 16 06 11:15

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Future Canadian

Am currently re-reading some old favorite graphic novels: Ronin by Frank Miller; League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (ignore the movie, this is the real deal) by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. And if I had a copy of From Hell (also Alan Moore) I'd be reading it too.  
...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

kitten

I recently finished reading "Bolo" by David Weber.  I'll read anything he cares to write, though.  I think he's very good.  As always, that was a great book.  Now I have to wait for him to write something else.  Darn!!!
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

Aaron's Rod - D.H. Lawrence (but so far not overly impressed).
A fool's paradise is better than none.

meloncollie

Sportsdude wrote:
I've got an ever growing list that I need to get too:
Frankenstien
Young Trudeau
Communist Manifesto
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Ah. Do Androids... is one of my favorites. I even wrote a sequel to it for a sci-fi lit class. When I get a little bit of money in my pocket again, I'm going to get a collection of Philip K. Dick books.

You give love a bad name.

kitten

Did you publish the sequel?  If so, where can I find it?

Gopher

'The Blue Bird' - Maurice Maeterlinck.

Gopher

Accordion Crimes - E. Annie Proulx.

kitten

Dragon - Stephen Brust

Lise

Is that good, kitten? Dragon? I love dragons.

Am currently reading The Chronicles of Prydain by Llyod Alexander.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

kitten

I thought it would be, but the further I get into it, the more bored I become.  He tries too hard to be funny.  It gets tiresome after a while.

How is your book, Lise?  Does it contain dragons?

Russ

kitten wrote:
 I recently finished reading "Bolo" by David Weber.  I'll read anything he cares to write, though.  I think he's very good.  As always, that was a great book.  Now I have to wait for him to write something else.  Darn!!![/DIV]
 I like david weber as well. Which bolo did you read by weber? Theres like four 'bolo' books out by him. One of them has a compilation of two, but they arent complete.

To be honest you are the first person Ive 'talked' to that has read and has similar tastes to me.

Which other books do you read that are similar, if you do.

EDIT: forgot to put what Im currently reading. Sad as it is, cause Im back in school studying Im reading Instrumentation and Control by Reeds series of marine engineering.      
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

kitten

I've been a science fiction addict since I was 12.  Everything from fantasy to hard science to military fiction.  I've read the first book, and plan to get the rest later.  I've put in a request at the library, but there are several reservations ahead of me.  I've read all the Honor Harrington series and thoroughly enjoyed them.

Lise

No dragons in my book as yet but enchantress, warriors and the lot. A tad childish for my taste but the book was in my  husband's old collection so I thought I'd give it a try.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Future Canadian

Under the Banner of Heaven by John Krakauer.
Amazing what crazy fundamentalist zealots we have living right here within our borders. brrr.

...religion has made some contributions to civilization. It helped in the early days to fix the calendar, and it caused Egyptian priests to chronicle ecplipses with such care that in time they were able to predict them. These two services I am prepared to acknowledge, but I do not know of any others

Gopher

The Friendly Persuasion by Jessamnyn West

|